Clear glass shower doors?

So I'm redoing the bathroom with a tub surround and some bypass doors for showering. I had figured on using obscured glass doors, but I might have a bead on a good deal for some doors with clear glass.

My concern is that clear glass shower doors will reveal any soap scum on them a lot quicker than obscured glass versions.

So, what kind of cleaning routine will be necessary with clear glass shower doors vs. obscured glass shower doors?

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Wipe them down with a squeegee right after the shower.

RicodJour

I have clear. Generally they look like obscured. I did have a maid for a while. Once she figured out they were clear she did do a good job of keeping them clean. I have no idea how. I am content with them looking obscured.

Reply to
Pat

Hehe, that's what I'm afraid of. :)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Hmmm, thanks Ricod. I don't know how consistent I'd be with that however....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Sweegee or "shower spray" after shower squirt on product

its not that hard to keep them clear but does depends on water quality

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Wipe them down with a squeegee right after the shower.

Excellent advice. My wife and I have followed this procedure for years.

Reply to
James Dent

Lime away or another acidic lime removal product used often is the best way to keep them clean, but mine are frosted and the maid hasnt been her in 3 years, they are still frosted.

Reply to
ransley

Shower curtains are better than sliding glass doors. No scummy tracks to deal with, and unlike a door, the curtain moves easily and completely out of the way.

Reply to
Phisherman

Mount a shower curtain inside the glass. This will keep them (mostly) from getting wet in the first place.

Reply to
HeyBub

I hear ya. But Dow Scrubbing Bubbles would make cleaning the glass a snap. If I had to have shower doors again I'd get the clear glass, myself. I really hate the old style glass doors.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

After my builder installed glass shower door shattered into 3 million pieces when it slipped from my wet grip as I opened it (it flew into the tiled wall towel bar), I went to a local plastics shop and had them cut me a piece of plexiglass to replace it.

I chose a mottled pattern from several offerings on the display floor -

1/4 inch thick, and it was reasonably priced.

I'd never again have glass shower or tub enclosure doors - too much potential for disaster.

Joe

Reply to
J O E

On Wed 21 Oct 2009 09:03:24p, Jon Danniken told us...

Use one of the various brands of "after shower" cleaning spray on your entire shower. Just spray on, no hands on cleaning, and you won't be scrubbing again, and clear glass stays clear.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

When I was a child I saw the man next door being given first-aid. He had fallen through the glass doors above the bathtub. That image is still in my mind 62 years later.

Reply to
Ed Mc

This will make it even easier and keep it cleaner:

You won't believe the difference between this and a regular squeegee.

Reply to
salty

.

Yep. I have a couple or three of the silicone squeegees and they are great.

The recommendations to use chemicals I find odd. Cleaning is a mechanical process unless you let it go, then it becomes a chemical process. I try not to use chemicals to overcome my laziness. Hmmm, that could be taken a lot of ways! ;)

RicodJour

Hi, I'd say it depends how hard your water is.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

A few years ago I slipped in the shower and fetched up pretty hard against the shower doors. I thought sure I was a goner, but I just bounced off of them. I'm no lightweight (250 lbs), but those doors just rang like a bell and shrugged me off. I believe they were installed in 1992, and the previous owner of my house paid $800 for them, which was a ton of money IMHO.

They're clear. I hate them. (We used to have a well, and I'm not sure I've ever seen them clean.) But I don't hate them enough to replace them, or to make a lot of effort to clean them. We squeegee and when I feel like it I scrub them.

The track, however, is not too bad, being L shaped rather than U shaped.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

A few years ago I slipped in the shower and fetched up pretty hard against the shower doors. I thought sure I was a goner, but I just bounced off of them. I'm no lightweight (250 lbs), but those doors just rang like a bell and shrugged me off. I believe they were installed in 1992, and the previous owner of my house paid $800 for them, which was a ton of money IMHO.

They're clear. I hate them. (We used to have a well, and I'm not sure I've ever seen them clean.) But I don't hate them enough to replace them, or to make a lot of effort to clean them. We squeegee and when I feel like it I scrub them.

The track, however, is not too bad, being L shaped rather than U shaped.

Cindy Hamilton

===

tempered doors can withstand a golfball or baseball bat hit, or running into them pretty hard. it takes something sharp like a knife or nail, or a blow to an edge, before they'll blow.

62 years ago, they didn't have laws about tempered doors or windows.
Reply to
charlie

There is a difference between tempered glass and safety glass, although safety glass is also tempered.

Tempering makes it so the glass shatters into thousands of "pebbles", rather than into large pointy shards, which can be deadly.

Safety glass is tempered, but is also a sandwich with a layer of plastic in the center so that the pieces stay mostly in place, rather than flying. Auto windshield glass is like that.

Reply to
salty