Cleaning coppper pipe.

I need to replace a toilet supply valve with a push-on Sharkbite valve and it shows cleaning the copper stub, after the old valve is cut off, with emory cloth. I probably have some but I know I have a brush, like this one.

CAn I use this instead?

Or will it rough it up too much?

Reply to
micky

IDK, that's a good question, I would think it's likely OK, but the brush will leave it rougher than emery cloth. How about a steel wool pad, Brillo, whatever?

Reply to
trader_4

Well, I'm not going to disconnect one toilet until I fix the tank on the other toilet, and that seems to be a 2-month project, haha, but I did google a bit. Somewhere I have a stack of various kinds of sandpaper, but I can only find half the stack, including some 600 grade wet'n'dry. . I thought emery cloth too and wanted to know which was finer.

From what I could find, there is emery cloth and emery paper and it comes in a variety of grits. That's not the way I remember it -- I remember it being the finest of grits -- but that's what HD sells, assorted: coarse medium and fine. But how even the fine compares to

600, it doesn't say. What seems to make it emery is that it's sandpaper backed *with cloth*.

But I went to HD last night and bought a package of 1500 grit, that should be enough. They had 2000, but I don't want to be greedy.

I had also read articles about installing Sharkbite and strangely none of the 5 articles from experts said what to use except another casual article said steel wool. I have some if I can get at it. So maybe I'll do a little 600, a little steel wool, and maybe return a whole package of 1500.

Also I'll see how hard it is to clean. It looks terrible, but that might mean nothing.

IIRC the pipe of the toilet I'm working on now looked a lot better when I was putting the Sharkbite on, but I'm sure I cleaned it and I don't remember how. It was years ago and when I couldn't get the solid tube to fit right, I stopped using the toilet. All the water evaportated but I never smelled anything, and I used it often for the sink and the bathtub. Is there another trap for the whole house that could have kept out smells?

Reply to
micky