CLAWFOOT CAST IRON TUB- FLOOR REINFORCEMENT

I'm not really "into" this subject as a project in my home... I just want to know how this is accomplished.

Here (USA) antique claw-foot bathtubs are becoming popular,and I am wondering how the flooring is reinforced below these tubs... I mean those darn things must weight about a half-ton... and then filled with water !

Even if the "contact" foot pattern is

6 sq inches per "claw foot" that's only 24 square inches total , to support the weight !

I know I'm gonna get the "contact you're local building inspector, and then a carpenter" post..... ...but I'm just curious how this works.

Best wishes, Dave

Reply to
DaddyMonkey

when i was a kid we had an old claw foot tub.. but then the floor was also old in this house. the flooring material was like 2 in. thick wood over the floor joist......

Reply to
dbird