Classic vs. Modern architecture

"Contemporary architecture is by and large a failure. The public finds it ugly, strange, and off-putting. It has created a built environment that is degraded and dehumanizing. The reason for this failure is the ideology of architectural Modernism, which came to dominance after the Second World War."

I thought that modern architecture, at least in large buildings, was driven by new, more efficent, cheaper methods of construction, along with the ability to make large glass windows, plus the universality of air conditioning so that windows don't have to open, along with a dearth of Italian artists willing to work for little money and do the art work that decorated the buildings of the Teens through 50's.

The group whose webpage is above apparently influenced Stumpie in today's exec. order that new federal buildings in DC use Greek, Roman, Gothic and a couple I missed architecture. The same group wants to rebuild Pennsyylvania Station in NYC, even though Madison Square Garden is in the way. They have several compalaints about the station including that the trains are sometimes late. How does the design of the building cause that!

Reply to
micky

In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else how stuff should look:

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

BTW, when they added a new simple building to Billings Hospital, at the U. of Chicago, they did find someone to make 10 feet of stone cornice to match what was on the original gothic building, for the transition from one building to the next.

You don't think he has great taste! How plebian of you.

Reply to
micky

I think his apartment looks like a bordello.

I'm more of a Craftsman type.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Very stylish if the 1700s ever come back. Very appropriate since it looks similar to some castles in Europe and his desire to be king of the USA.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But it's a tasteful bordello. The kind any one of his cabinet members would be happy to ply their trade in.

Reply to
micky

I don't know any married heterosexual males that were allowed to decorate their nest. We only write the checks.

Reply to
devnull

My husband and I both have input on the decor of our house. I generally defer to his taste, since his dislikes are stronger than my likes. Not that our tastes are very far apart, anyway.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Good one! I didn't think of that angle. I like the view out the window. Also, what about the buildings Trump has built? They are mostly modern architecture, at least where he's built whole new buildings, skyscrapers, etc. What's up with that? If what Micky posted is correct, he's going screwier by the minute. Maybe next he'll insist they have images of him engraved in all new federal buildings.

Reply to
trader_4

... an addition to Mount Rushmore :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

My wife and I both have veto powers. We're weird, though. We think marriage is a partnership.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I don't decorate. If I did, I'd remodel the kitchen with the Premier line of Gladiator Garage cabinets.

Reply to
devnull

I've got to find a fancier class of whorehouses.

Reply to
rbowman

I always thought if I designed a house the kitchen floor would be brick with a drain in the middle. Throw down some Tide, scrub it, and hose it down. Oh, and there would be a loading dock too.

Reply to
rbowman

I used to run that road at night hauling carpet from LA to Reno. Janie has a red beacon that really stood out since there isn't anything else around Montgomery.

I liked the one in Winnemucca. There was a sign in the parking lot "Cattle haulers, please park your rigs someplace else"

Then there was the Mustang Ranch. If I had to go to Tonopah instead of taking the cutoff I couldn't legally continue to Reno so I'd log my 8 hours off at Mustang. Never did actually go there.

Mustang Ranch was forfeited to the Feds after a tax fraud case leading to the urban legend that the Feds couldn't run a whorehouse and show a profit.

Reply to
rbowman

You really want that 8x8 terra cotta tile like they use in commercial kitchens, for exactly that reason. At the club my wife ran the cooks would hose that place down every night before they left with 160+ degree water. All of the equipment was rolled out and they started about 5' up the FRP walls, then rolled the stuff back and finished up the middle. It was like a steam bath in there.

Reply to
gfretwell

My ideal bathroom is a one-piece plastic box with a floor drain. Close the protective boot over the toilet paper, remove the towels, pull down the hose from the ceiling and spray the whole thing with a jet of hot, soapy water. Then rinse.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

You know the area much better than I do! I wonder if Janie's is the place I was thinking of. It sure looks like it. Good times.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Anyone know how to get blood out of a carpet? Like, lots of blood? I'm asking for a friend.

Just kidding :-)

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I always wondered if Janie catered to coyotes. There isn't a damn thing out there except sagebrush and coyotes. I suppose the theory is Bishop is sort of touristy and some of them might make it up over the pass.

Janies was relatively large scale.

Pretty bad when the 'Our Girls' tab has one girl. Recruitment must be off. That might have been viable when the Hawthorne ammo depot was active. Otherwise the only reason to go through Mina is when 395 south of Carson City gets iffy in the winter.

Not Nevada but an interesting stop. The Oasis might have been aided by Wallace having the last red light on I-90. The interstate went through downtown until some time in the '90s.

Butte tried a brothel museum too but being Butte it failed.

Reply to
rbowman