Clamp To Prevent Lawnmower Blade From Revolving When Changing ?

Hello,

I read somewhere that "they" make a small clamp gadget to go on the underside of a lawnmower deck to hold the blade stationary and prevent rotation when one is putting on a new blade.

The kids at HD didn't know what i was talking about, and I couldn't find anything there like this.

Anyone happen to know what HD, or possibly ACE Hardware, actually calls these gadgets, or who makes ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

2x4 [two by four] ? :-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Sears has them. I don't know what they are called.

Reply to
Chris Hill

I never had any problems using a 2x4 as a wedge when I couldn't just hold the blade with a glove...

Reply to
Robert Neville

That stirs a very old memory. I may have seen such a gadget advertised, but never bought one. I usually use the toe of my boot. Many things are advertised, but not really needed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's called a 6" piece of 2x4. Jam it between the blade and something underneath the deck.

S. Barker

Hmmm. I just grab the blade with gloved hand and wrench on the other hand. Worked all the time.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Amazing thing that there Google

search text: lawn mower blade changing clamp

or you could use this high tech device:

DerbyDad03

That SHOULD work. BUT people tend to think lawnmower blades need to be tightened to hell and back when a simple finger tight will do. They are self tightening. (unless you have one of those cheesy spline type hookups on a cheapy mower)

S. Barker

personally, i just stick the 1/2" impact on them to remove them. And spin them back on by hand, and give the blade/bolt a snugn' by hand going back on. They are self tightening.

I just use my boot tip to press against the blade and keep it from turning. Been doing it that way for decades.

Reply to
S. Barker

I like heavy leather work gloves.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

make sure you pull the plug so that it doesn't start up on you while you are wrenching on it...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I use a scrap piece of 2x4. Cost = 0.

The money I saved I put toward things more important.

By the way, if you have a small lawn, consider a push reel mower. They start every time. I know there are drawbacks, but whatever we can do for the planet, we ought to do that first.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Unlike the bolt hole thing, you can use your boot on other mowers, too.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Lee Valley sells them - they're called a "mower blade clamp" (who'da thunk it?)

Follow the link;

Doug Brown

The one I'm familiar with is called "Blade Buster"

Reply to
Erma1ina

These are the tools I use to hold my mower blade:

Foot -- wear a boot.

Hand -- wear a heavy leather glove.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

I have been using an old wooden pallet slat.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Robert Barr