ChristmasTree Won't Drink Water

My tree stopped drinking water yesterday. Anyway i can convince to tart drinking again without taking it down and re-cutting the trunk base? M

Reply to
mstrspy

Put an aspirin tablet in the water. It opens the pores and it'll start drinking if the end hasn't closed up completely.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

As the tree ages, it realizes it is truly dead, and the capillary suction slowly stops working. The best way to keep a tree drinking the longest, at least for the next Christmas, is to buy or cut the tree early in season, then immediately upon getting home plunge it in a 5 gal. bucket full of water, after cutting at least a quarter inch off the base with a sharp pruning saw. And carve a little of the bark off, making a bevel of a quarter inch up the side, using a sharp utility knife. Keep the base of the tree under about 9-12 inches of water, for better pressure. For improved freshness at Xmas, we leave the tree outside, in the bucket, in the shade, from about Thanksgiving to at least mid december. During this period it will drink like crazy, then ease off once you get the tree inside, and it is further stressed by the heat and dryness. In my experience the pills dont help very much. Once in my life, I had a fresh-cut tree develop small roots while in the living room. A real will to live, I guess!

Reply to
Roger Taylor

You can also consider drilling a few holes in the trunk.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

here's lots of christmas tree info at:

buffalobill

Dude....................................... (or dudette)

You can lead a Christmas tree to water but you can't make it drink.

You tree is probably an alcoholic. It wants beer. Give it beer, or whisky, or some other alcoholic drink. Maybe some of that rot gut champagne your motherinlaw gave you last Christmas. No one will drink that crap anyhow. You also need to learn how to handle an alcoholic christmas tree. You need to be firm, but gentle. Stroke it's needles every day and read christmas stories to it. Also you MUST play Christmas music for it 24/7. If it starts getting tipsy, you may need to tie it to something or it will fall over. Don't get angry with it because it falls, remember, if YOU drink too much, you will fall too. However, if your Christmas tree begins showing signs of severe alcoholism, such as turning yellow, be sure to take it an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting quickly. There are daily meetings held in most major cities in the USA, even on Christmas day. Your tree may be lonely and need the company of other alcoholics, so AA meetings are the place to take it.

I hope this helps and solves your problem.

There will be a $250 fee for this therapy session. Please send payment ASAP.

Reply to
christmas.tree.therapist

It's DEAD?????? OH MY GOD...... Thats HORRIBLE.... You Christmas tree murderer...... I hope you get put in prison for murdering that christmas tree. You are nothing but a low life scumbag Christmas tree murderer.

Reply to
evilsantaclaus

I've never seen anyone mention this before, but it makes sense, given the xylem and phloem things.

Keep the base of the tree

mm