Choosing canister vs. upright vacume???

We have always had uprights, first with bags and the last one was a bagless. We dont like the bagless, its to dirty to deal with dumping the container. Also the belts keep burning up. (mostly due to the things being picked up jamming the brushes)

We went to sears to look at the upright recomended by consumers. My wife thought it was very heavy so we started looking at the canisters...

Can anyone offer the advantages or disadvantages of upright vs. canister vacumes.. We do have stairs.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Canister is usually better for stairs. Otherwise, both can clean well. We have both. I have no preference for normal carpet sweeping.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

For upright, we prefer the Orek. For a canister, the "Dirt Devil." Rugs, etc. for the upright. Canister great for stair, cars, shop work, small and awkward spaces. You really need both kinds, IMHO.

Reply to
professorpaul

I am always on a search for the perfect carpeted stair cleaning tool. Any suggestions? I have two uprights, Hover Windtunnel and Dyson. I am not happy with either on the stairs.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

I prefer cannister with power nozzle for stairs. Hoover has a new Z design at Sears optimized for stairs but weight distribution seems awkward for normal cleaning.

Reply to
Art

Stairs aside, how do you like the Dyson? I wonder if it is really as good as he says or just a bunch of fancy advertising.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

We bought a Eureka "The Boss" Smartvac (upright) a few months ago. While we don't have carpeted stairs, the vacuum comes with a "power paw" attachment for the hose that works wonders on the sofa - gets all the dog hair off in a jiffy. It might work well for you on the stairs.

We've been most pleased in all respects with this unit.

Good luck!

Reply to
Squanklin

I hate to buy two of anything, but have to agree that you almost need both. Canister is the more versatile of the two. Canister, if a good one, will have much better suction and come with more tools. My Kannmore canister is

30 years old and still works very well. Current uprights (from WalMart) last a year, if you're not careful with them, Dyson sucks - the hose is so cheap it wore out in 6 months (my neighbor had one).

For years I owned only a canister, but recently got a broken upright, which I fixed. It's a lot easier to do a quick sweep with it.

One point that is rarely made about vacuum cleaners. The upright makes much smaller dust cloud, when in use. This may be important, if you're allergic to dust.

The exhaust port on a canister is almost at the floor level. If you start in the middle of a dirty floor, you're blowing air on duty floor. Exhaust on the upright is much higher off the floor and better diffused.

Studies have been done to show this, but rarely mentioned.

Rich

Reply to
RichK

Does it sound like a 747 [airplane] engine in your house? :\\ My current upright is a Eureka, and you need ear plugs to use it. I keep looking for a replacement that is rated as "quiet"... or at least "quieter" than others. :) bj

Reply to
chicagofan

Fancy advertising according to Consumer Reports.

Reply to
Art

Make sure you also consider storage space for vacuum cleaner.

Reply to
badgolferman