Chlorine in Septic systems?

What is an acceptable amount of chlorine that can safely be added to a septic system each month? Or should I avoid it altogether? I noticed that when I stop using chlorine for in the wash for a couple of months, the washing machine and clothes start to pick up a musty odor. I've read and heard that small amounts of chlorox and bathroom cleaners will not do any harm. Any opinions?

Reply to
Rob

Perhaps you are not drying them long enough? I can't recall ever using chlorine in my clothes. The only time I notice a musty odor is if they were not completely dry when they came out of the drier.

Only an opinion, but this sounds reasonable.

Reply to
C G

My mom used to flush a glass of yeast down the toilet once a month. She used high phosphate detergent and bleach, chlorine all of the time. Trying to keep the whites white on a farm was a full time job. We never had any problems with the septic in the 12 years I was there.

As for the musty smell in the wash, I am stumped. Does your water smell bad out of the faucet?

Reply to
SQLit

No. The water out of the tap is fine. It use to have a sulfur smell until I installed a water softener which eliminated the odor.

Reply to
Rob