chilipepper water recirculating

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions about the chilipepper hot water recirculation pumps

Running a separate return pipe would be a lot of work and unlike the other brands you all told me about, this one does't run all the time and doesn't run on a timer or a schedule.

It just runs when someone pushes a button. Then it says it runs until the water is hot (98^ iirc), forcing the previously hot water back thought the cold water pipe. Since I'm concerned about the bathroom sink, the button would be at t he sink, maybe at the side of the cabinet under the sink.

I don't have a schedule either, I wish I did, but I get up at all hours and go to sleep at all hours and wash my hands in that sink at times I can't predict.

Other than the push button, instead of a timer, and that the pump is under the sink, it's a lot like the Watts recirculator.

Reply to
micky

That is the type I described in that other long thread where this was discussed. It has the same disadvantages as any system that uses a pump and lacks a return line, ie tepid, crappy water from the WH will be in the cold water line for the length of the run. For me, if just the bathroom is on that line, then it's probably OK. If it also serves the kitchen, then forget about it.

Reply to
nj48forplay

what does that cost, not counting installation?

Reply to
Pico Rico

I didn't see the other thread so I don't know what you are trying to accomplish.

I have also never used one of these before but when I was researching them in the past to purpose or concept was that it reduced or eliminated a long wait time for hot water to get to the faucet when the faucet is first turned on. However, I discovered back then that if one of those systems is installed it has an "opposite" effect on the cold water supply. By that, I mean that with one of those installed on the hot side, when you turn the cold water on you have to wait a while for the cold water to get cold.

Reply to
TomR

190 dollars, plus shipping.

It requires a 110 outlet below the sink, which uses 3.5 amps iirc.

I have an outlet just above the sink and it shouldn't be hard to run another outlet from that. Even if there's a fire-stop, I have a flexible drill bit to get through that. . (How high are fire-stops, normally?)

Reply to
micky

You can wash you hands with cold water no problem. But if you want hot water in the shower, this is a solution. You will blend the hot with the cold, so any warm water in the cold line will get used up soon enough.

My water heater is close to the kitchen, with the baths far down line, so any hot water in the cold line to the kitchen will get used up very quickly.

Reply to
Pico Rico

You did figure out what I'm trying to accomplish.

Yes, that's a problem, people say, but the difference here is that hot water won't be pumped into the cold pipe every 15 minutes, or whatever the other ones do, but only 3 times a day. And in each of the times I wash my hands in the bathroom I may be using some of the cold water too == I still haven't decided how hot to make the water, but if anything, hotter than it is now.

I've been paying attention, and trying to judge how likelly I am to drink he cold-once-hot water. I rinse my mouth in the bathroom after brushing my teeth, but I rarely drink water there, it seems. As to the kitchen, I do drink a lot of that water, buit I think I rinse or wash dishes even more often.

I have to observe my habits more, but I'm thinking the hot water in the cold pipe won't bump into my drinking very often. (I guess I should also try letter some hot water cool off and see what it tastes like. Maybe I won't dislike it as much as some do.

Reply to
micky

I've not got all the details worked out, but what happens if you push the circulator button, and then flush the toilet? Would that put the recirculated water to good use?

Just thinking.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm thinking that's exactly what would happen. Push the button as soon as I enter the room, use the toilet, which would use up any recirc water that's been pushed back to the junction between the sink and the toilet, while I'm washing my hands and, if the water is hot enough, using up the water between that junction and the sink.

Reply to
micky

I'm promoting you to field tester, grade two. With corresponding pay. You're expected to install that device, and report back twice a day until the thread is completed. And until Danny D can't see the posts.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I won't be able to see them either.

Reply to
micky

Finally some encouragement! Thanks.

And from someone who has something similar.

There's no remotely easy way to put in a return line, so I think this will do well.

Reply to
micky