Changing Building Materials to Metric

My understanding was that it determined the volume based on an assumed temperature of 15C regardless of actual temperature. To do as you suggest, wouldn't the dispenser need to know the actual temperature as well? When I worked at an oil company recently, I looked over the info on dispensers and underground tank equipment and there was no part or mechanism for measuring fuel temp.

PS - they are dispensers and not pumps. In the old days, there was a pump for each hose. Now there pumps are at the tank and maintain a pressurized system. The hose is connected to a dispenser with no internal pump.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

True, but at a gas station, the customer pumping the now densified fuel gets the benefit. I was thinking of that, not a fuel oil drop for a residence. OTOH, a Btu is a Btu and if it is burned efficiently, you still get the heat.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

case, that's

Ah, yes. The discussion was rather pedantic as the original statement was "pennies" and that applies if it were 5 gal or 1000 gal. Any minor difference (and it is almost imeasurable) of course will add up to real money given enough volumn but it's hardly anything to loose sleep over.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

According to Michael Daly :

The temperature sensor would be in the pump ... er ... dispenser. I suspect you missed it. There's some fairly fancy stuff in them these days in order to ensure accurate flow measurement.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Am Samstag, 11. März 2006 22:25:32 UTC-5 schrieb snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com:

Mark this are questions only an american can ask. Guess how any development country goes along very well in metric. You have to give up a 2x4 what is not a 2x4 either. or rediculus nails and screw sizes where have only one purpuse "teach the biggest BS ever". The whole world do not have this problems you are pointing here. There is one way only. Change regardless to metric and dump everything you know or have done so far in Imperial. But imedieattly. Why, because Imperial is a one way DEAD END Road !!!!! As sooner you turn as better . The way back on track is horribel but just g ets worse every day PERIOD. Forgett about this flickering lightat the end o f this dead end Imerial Road, go out of that tunnel and back into the sun. Other countries are ahead in construction methods by 30 to 80 years !!! gue s why ? Because a 2nd grader can do there better math then any engineer in imperial US Add 5/32 + 19/64 + 3/8 in 4 seonds ohh for example add 0,

5 + 1.6 + 0,9 (numbers are not conversions) make the test your self with is faster? I bet you lost GRADE F sorry
Reply to
rubberbootlover1

LOOK AT THE DATE!!!!!!

Reply to
philo

Yup, it is clear this guy has not bought plywood recently (even in

2006). It is all metric. They approximate 12mm as 15/32 and I bet that 4 feet is really 122 CM
Reply to
gfretwell

Not really if you look at US manufacturers' spec's, they're in English units with metric equivalents...

Example from Georgia-Pacific current datasheet --

Available Types & Sizes (Sized for 4' x 8') Length (Minimum) 7'-11 7?8" (2.435 m) Width (Minimum) 3'-11 7?8" (1.216 m)

Building Code Performance Categories, Panel Thickness ? 1/4 CAT, 0.234" (5.94 mm) ? 11/32 CAT, 0.328" (8.33 mm) ? 15/32 CAT, 0.453" (11.50 mm) ? 19/32 CAT, 0.578" (14.68 mm) ? 23/32 CAT, 0.703" (17.85 mm)

Specifications Length/Width Tolerance +0, ?1?16" (+0, ?1.6 mm), based on 4' or 8' value Straightness Tolerance ±1?16" (±1.6 mm) Squareness Tolerance ±1?8" (±3.2 mm) ...

NB that the thicknesses are actually 1/64" under the nominal, rounded to three decimal places. That is, nominal 3/4" is now in a 23/32" category but the actual dimension is shaved yet another 1/64".

23/32 --> 0.71875

32*0.703 --> 22.496 --> 22.5/32 --> 0.703125 --> *25.4 = 17.859375

OTOH, 19/32*25.4 --> 18.25625, way too far over to be just rounding.

AFAIK this is pretty much what all US construction ply is.

Now when get to foreign hardwood ply and the like there's no telling which it follows depending on point of origin.

Reply to
dpb

Sure is raisin questions.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Canada went through this all many years ago. While Canada is officially metric, we all work with both systems. Adding to the complexity, we had a different gallon and pint than the US. We used the Imperial measurement, while the US had its own. Temperature is given on the Canadian news in Celsius, but we easily convert to Fahrenheit in our heads when we watch US news. I buy a length of 4 inch PVC plastic pipe with the size of 100mm printed on its side. Regular threaded pipe is known as nominal 3/4 inch size. I buy a pound of meat in the stores and get just under one half kilogram. You learn to work both ways and use the system that fits best the job at hand. As a former graphic designer/typesetter and have rulers that are in points, picas and fractions of an inch that most people don't use such as 1/10", 1/6", and others -- again I use whatever works best and easiest.

Don't sweat it, it all works out in the end.

Reply to
EXT

You will find that it's not 12mm, either. It won't even be the same on one edge as the other.

Reply to
krw

When I was in 7th grade around 1962 the teacher told us we better learn the Metric system because the whole US would be using it by 1970 and we'd be left in the dust if we did not know it.

The US will be using Whitworth before it goes Metric.

I actually have a few Whitworth "spanners" ...have no idea where they came from.

Reply to
philo

Well, you're a couple of years older than I, but it was the same thing in our school in '62. I did learn the metric system (use it daily) but also see no reason to change everything else. Particularly in the age of calculators, it's incredibly easy to convert between the two in the few cases where it's necessary.

You funnin' us, right? ;-) The US is already metric. The inch is

*exactly* 2.54cm.

England?

Reply to
krw

Yes, Metric is the wave of the future.

Your spanners from England?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We (Aus) changed back in the 70s with much the same results as Canada except we dont have a recalcitrant neighbor so the general public take up has been more complete. Weather Temperature is almost universaly accepted in Celcius.

Anything a bit mechanical is a different story. We have Whitworth bolts in inch diameters and mm lengths sometimes. In fact maintenance of anything has to stick to its original sizes whatever that may be.. Timber has all changed but I have little or no experience. Ordinary Pipe was British standard pipe before and now 1inch pipe is 25 mm without any change because the inch was inside and the outside was very approxomate anyway The tread is tapered. Tyres are on 15 inch rims and 195 mm wide for example:-Z Of course anything scientific has been metric CGS and latter MKS systems for ever.

Reply to
John G

LOL

I live in the US but just happened to recall that wrenches are "spanners" over there. I owned a TR-3 for many years and though I used "regular" English tools with it...there may have been a few Whitworth bolts on it.

However...metric really is easier as you do not need to calculate what size is smaller 9mm or 10mm for example

Reply to
philo

I don't know where those wrenches came from...

Since they are Whitworth I guess they are spanners though.

My whole house is full of weird stuff...and that includes me.

Reply to
philo

Some time ago I was in a UK grocery store at the deli counter and wanted to buy some sliced ham. Clever boy that I was, I ask for a 1/4 kilo, expecting to get about 1/2 pound. Deli person looked at me funny and said "how many slices do you want?"

Sometimes you just can't win.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

If you can't figure that out without hurting your brain, you really shouldn't be working where you need wrenches. There is *nothing* to be gained by converting, at this point, and a lot to lose.

Reply to
krw

I don't recall saying anything about converting

Reply to
philo