Changing Building Materials to Metric

When did the commies land on the moon? I must have missed that little piece of history!

Reply to
trader4

There are calculators available that do that.

Reply to
PanHandler

Here's a good description:

PanHandler

Here's a specific one:

PanHandler

Been there -- Done that -- Paid dearly for it.

The quart of milk will suddenly become a LITER of milk -- only the = quantity will go down.

I also remember doing some work on a Renault Dauphine (?spelling) and = having to get a 19/32 wrench because all my SAE stuff was either a shade = too small or big to fit. The upshot is I needed a whole new set of = METRIC wrenches. One hell of a merchandising ploy.=20

Mostly, I found the conversion to metric to be a big PITA -- all the = prices went up and all the sizes went down.

--=20 PDQ

Reply to
PDQ

The inch is "the distance from the tip of the King's thumb to the first = knuckle. Good thing the king in question was normally equipped.

--=20 PDQ

Reply to
PDQ

Yes, but the statement was to do it without a calculator.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

40cm, 60cm. Pretty difficult, huh?
2.4 by 1.2 m. Thickness? One inch is 25mm. A two by four is 50 by 100mm nominal. No need to be more accurate. Construction accuracy is 1/8 inch in imperial units and some dimensions (like wood dimensions) are nominal anyway. If you are concerned with accuracy, you have to know the difference between nominal sizes and finished sizes.

Canada switched to metric for construction in the 70's and the construction industry didn't fall over and die. Arguments against switching to metric are based on fear of change, not logic.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Bullshit.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

According to PanHandler :

SAE is a plot by calculator manufacturers to sell more calculators.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

They seem to have used just about every part of the king's body except one. Not long enough?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

It's a strawman argument used by the naysayers. That the free market would still operate under the new system just goes right over their heads.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Amen. And once the change was made, they would be wondering why they ever opposed it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Make that king's bodies - there were many standards for foot and not all of them were the same. Ditto inch. Every country in the old world had its own version of each unit and some had several competing versions within a country.

You can find properties in Canada with titles in acres and the one adjacent is in arpents. Those would be over 250 years old, of course. The most modern ones would be hectares.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

A pretty poor one - if they were really concerned about getting ripped off in buying fuel, they'd insist it was sold in kilograms and not litres or gallons.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

And they'd specify the temperature of the liquid.

RicodJour

According to PDQ :

will go down.

And so with the price.

to get a 19/32 wrench because

needed a whole new set of

Yeah. Building cars using one's own national measurement system. Isn't that awful.

Obviously, the French Academie has been in cahoots with Asian wrench makers since the

1700s - one day those damn yanks are going to have to change their wrenches, and we cash in big!

That's such amazing foresight. Why, they hadn't even invented wrenches then.

went up and all

Yeah, just like yards going to metres, square yards to square metres, or acres to hectares.

Not.

Don't let the facts stand in you way, eh?

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I wonder what that part might be......

Want to impress a woman... The average penis is 6 inches. That means it's 15.24 centimeters. Just tell some woman that yours is a 15 (dont say 15 what)...

I guess this is one of the advantages of metric

Hee hee !!!

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Thanks

Now I know that. Sure cant buy them for that price today.

100 16d's would probably be a little over 2 lbs and at todays price, be around $2.50
Reply to
maradcliff

Canada did not go metric in regards to construction or the lumber industry... if we do you'll know... we supply you! lol

Cheers

Reply to
Cobra-WoW-