Chair rail return

I would like to install a chair rail in my living room. I have an opening that runs from floor to ceiling. When I stop the rail at the opening,I wanted to put a "return" piece in rather then just cut the rail off flush with the wall. Is there a simple way to cut them? Any special tricks?I figured I would practice on some scrape first, cut a piece at a 90. or is it

45? What ever it is I have to cut the same angle the opposite way?? OR,, would it look better just leaving the rail cut flush with the opening?
Reply to
gntry

Flush is tacky. Choices: Terminate on a plinth and even turn it down to the baseboard. Similar to:

Miter and turn it back into the wall. Don't end it even with the opening, sit back a bit. Hold the turn back on with a bit of carpenter's glue, the piece will probably be too small to use nails, if you will be staining, be sure to keep the glue off the finish face. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

I have always cut 45s to turn the chair rail down, then about 1/2" below the bottom of the horizontal run, I cut the vertical run at 45 degrees towards the wall and fit another very short piece cut at 45 degrees so that it creates a moulded profile on the bottom of the vertical piece. The bottom piece usually requires pre-assembly with glue then the back is belt sanded flush with the vertical piece's back so that it fits perfectly flat on the wall.

Reply to
Eric Tonks