Terminating a HandRail

I want to replace the hand rail that runs down our basement stairs. The current one is just a 1.5" round stock and terminated back to the wall with 45 degree miter cuts. Looks like the builder just painted it with wall paint. I have found a piece of Colonial handrail, unfinished that would do the job. But I wanted to know the best way to terminate it.

My thought was that we did not want to buy any extra pieces, just miter the ends so that when mounted the end would be straight up and down and then maybe another cut just to take of the very tip that would be left.

Is there a simpler way to do this ? or a better idea ?

Reply to
sid

That is how it is typically done, just cut the end so the cut ends up vertical when installed. If you want a more custom/professional look you can miter it and use a piece of leftover handrail to return it to the wall.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

When Nate says to return it, more specifically, he means return it as you would wall molding.

Check out:

Red Green

com:

What about cutting off the tips square about 1/2" back ? Is that typically done ?

Reply to
sid

DAGS for how far away the rail needs to be from wall, and how high off the floor. Many old rails fall short of modern guidelines, and trivial crap like that is what inspectors like to find come sale time. Back in stone age, we always just mitered the ends- having a return dying back into wall looks neater, but also increases how fast that spot on wall gets dirty if you have kids. The rails also flex, so the miter and the wall where it attaches may get stressed and open up.

For a colonial-style rail, if the borg has matching end knobs in the same style, I'd go ahead and get those. Makes it easier for using rail in the dark- you can tell when you get to the end of it. Also helps if you have anyone that Really Needs a rail, like older folks.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

What you have now may be code required in your area. I suspect that it might also be an OSHA requirement in public buildings for safety. If you plan to live in house for many years, do it any way you like, with knobs on the end of the rail or whatever. If you think you may ever sell the house, stick to the codes that your city requires.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

With no mitered corner or other tactile termination, a person won't bruise his knuckle when he slides his hand to the end the rail. But then he may be surprised to find the rail ends before he has a firm footing on a level floor. So maybe the best solution would be a transition to a horizontal piece of rail at each landing.

Reply to
Bob