Handrail convention?

Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? I'm talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side open with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90% of people) is holding on when descending.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Central stairway, walls both sides...Mines on the left going down.

Reply to
Nthkentman

Put one on either side, for versatility.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I'm about to put handrails either side of an enclosed staircase, though admittedly this is a special case since it's one of those "spacesaver" stairs, with half-steps (

) which require extra safety measures, especially on the way down. But even on a conventional stairway I'd fit a rail each side if the space was available - and a handrail doesn't need to extend all that far from the wall to be useful.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

In message , Frank Erskine writes

That's what we've done - amazing what a difference it makes as the years advance.

Reply to
hugh

Frank Erskine :

ITYM put one on *each* side. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

The house in which I lived as a kid about 60 years ago had walls both sides of the staircase, with the rail on the left when going up.

If you're right-handed, this means that you can carry a heavy suitcase in your right hand when going up - whilst steadying yourself with your left hand on the rail. Not quite so good when coming down!

I don't think it really matters - each has advantages and disadvantages. It's often dictated by the structure anyway - because it's not that common to have walls both sides.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'd fit it to the left going down - as I have done. If you're carrying something in your right hand, all the left has to do is run along the handrail.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Pedant!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I'd agree with this, especially for when old age kicks in.

Reply to
brass monkey

Well I'm currently nursing a smashed humerus in my left (non-drinking!) arm. When I'm sober I don't need a handrail, but I can see where dual handrails could be of considerable use in differing circumstances.

Any handrail (or none) must be better than the idea of a Stannah...:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

My mother had a stairlift, they're fine if you keep a calendar/diary of when you need to pee. Even worse with us blokes and prostates.

Reply to
brass monkey

Ours is a shade over 60 years old and has never had handrails fitted. To tie in with the "Women and DIY" thread, I've had new oak rails sitting in the basement for well over a year now, waiting for me to get the tuits together and fit them :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

That's what he's asking - but which side? I've got one on each side - much better.

Reply to
PeterC

Frank Erskine :

Guilty.

Things seem to come in phases and currently I'm being besieged by nonsense of the USE BOTH DOORS variety.

Not to mention all those "naked pictures" in the news.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , brass monkey writes

And additions to the family who need to be carried safely both up and down.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Bert Coules writes

I have just had some exposure to one of those. (holiday cottage). Too narrow for more than one hand rail. I had to come down backwards.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

unlerss you are carrying something w yr right hand?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

That's one of the things a council does when providing facilities for the infirm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I do have another rail, salvaged from elsewhere, I've been meaning to fit on the other side. Round tuit, it is.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon