Handrail in stairs with knee wall. Do I need the open side closed?

I would like to know if installing a handrail on the closed side of the stairs and nothing on the knee wall is enough to pass a home inspection. Or do I need to close the open side. Leave all safety aspects aside. I understand is better to cover it, but because of running out of time will just having a handrail pass inspection?? Thank you
On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 00:14:02 GMT, Edgar

Put the railing on the knee-wall side with required spindles.
On 2/7/19 7:14 PM, Edgar wrote:

Stairs need at least a 36" tall barrier on each side plus a handrail on one side. Or you could give the inspector a few Benjamins to take off their glasses during the inspection.