Chainsaw: Drain Chain Lubricant Oil Out Over Winter ? (necessary to do ?)

Hi,

Have a new chainsaw that I imagine I won't be using any more until the spring. First time I've ever had one of these things.

I understand about draining the gas out so it doesn't become gummy over the winter.

But, is it also a good idea to drain the chain oil lubricant out also, or not really necessary ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

I don't think it's necessary. I've never heard of it being done anyway.

When you drain the gas out, you'll want to make sure the carburetor is drained out as well as the tank.

Reply to
louie

Robert,

Draining the oil is unnecessary.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

No, the oil does not need to be drained.

Drain the gas then run the saw until it quits to get the gas out of the line/carb.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

In addition to draining the gas, give the saw a good cleaning. Remove all covers, remove the chain and bar, clean the bar grooves using the depth gauge that should have come with the saw, blow out the chips/crud, clean the air filter.. When putting the chain back on, turn the bar over to even out wear, either sharpen the chain or have it sharpened. That gets it ready for use in the spring. Just add fuel/oil mix and go.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Absolutely. Make sure you replace it with chain oil chamber lubricant. Chain oil works well for this.

Reply to
JohnH

No, oil doesn't deteriorate like gasoline.

There is no reason to drain the fuel from a 2 cycle motor, because the fuel is a mix of gas and

2-cycle oil and doesn't oxidize as rapidly as straight gasoline. I have never drained the fuel in my chainsaw and never had a problem. Usually it would sit for about 6 months without being started.
Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

I drain the oil out drain the gas out then run it till it dies, sharpen the blade, clean it up, put it in its case. It will start in 2 pulls next time I need it.

Reply to
robmurr