Regulating chain-blade oil feed on battery chainsaw

I've noticed that our Black and Decker battery-powered chainsaw seems to drink blade-lubricating oil. A tankful (about 50 ml at a very rough guess) seems to last only a minute or so of operation, with a lot of oil being splattered off the blade onto anything in range (gardening clothes, tree being pruned etc). When I came to it today, it was sitting in a small puddle of oil.

Is there any way with chainsaws of regulating how quickly the oil flows out? The instruction manual doesn't actually label the port through which oil is released onto the chain and I can't see an obvious hole. With the chain and chain guard removed for cleaning, and the tank full, I can't see any oil dripping out, so it's evidently happening too slowly to see a drip forming when the motor isn't running.

The model is B&D GKC3630L20 and the manual and sale literature just says "simple, leak-free oil system with automatic chain oiling" without anything about what to do if the automatic process empties a tank in a minute or so.

Reply to
NY

I have the opposite problem on my otherwise excellent Lidl saw, which is that it will not feed anything. I've been coping by using sprayed "Chain lubricant), also from Lidl, iirc, as and when it seems necessary.

ICBA either to strip my saw or to go through the aggravation of trying to negociate a replacement.

My Ryobi petrol chainsaw has a fixed rate mechanical pump, which periodically strips its nylon drive gear.

Reply to
newshound

I was advised by me dealer when I had this problem, to replace the oil with two-stroke mix and run it for five mintues without cutting anything, It worked a treat.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Interesting idea, I will give that a go, thanks.

Reply to
newshound

My battery chainsaw has a regulating screw underneath, it doesn't seem a very precise way of determining how much oil it will sling about.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sadly it did not work for me :-(

Reply to
newshound

Shit, I had better RTFM :-)

Reply to
newshound

since the oil is biodegradable, the only issue is that you need 'enough to lubricate the slide and keep the teeth cool. The rest gets flung off...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher