Chain sharpening redux

I went to a store today, and they have EZ lap diamond bits that you can chuck up to a drill motor or Dremel or whatever. $6 or thereabouts, and I'm looking forward to going out tomorrow and attacking the chain saw.

I had a 2 x 4" EZ Lap diamond stone I purchased in 1974, and it sharpened my diving knives beautifully. And those were used for cutting through very heavy ropes that got caught in ships propellers. Finally bit the dust, and was given a new one this Christmas past. $22, what a deal. I've been running around looking for things to sharpen. So, when I saw this EZ lap chainsaw bit, I grabbed it.

Will advise.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Good deal but don't get carried away. It is very easy to grind too hard or too long and overheat the tooth, effectively hardening it - not a real problem as long as you never try to file it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

So true Harry - got one in the stocking stuffer and never used it. Bar guide, round and flat files - 5 minutes work after each saw use or 2 hours cutting (whatever comes first). Dremel is of no use to me when i'm in the woods cutting, unless I stuff the generator in the back pack. One of the best skills my father taught me was how to sharpen axes / knives / saws the old fashioned way.

Reply to
jim