chain saw storage

I need a small chain saw that will see only sporadic use. One with a 14" bar should be plenty. I see a nice Echo at Home Depot that fits the bill, small and nicely balanced. But, I'm only going to be using this 4 or 5 times a year. I don't want to rent, because after 5 rentals I've paid for a new one. How tricky is it going to be to store this properly? Is using Stabil and running the tank dry before storage all I have to do? Or if I'm running it dry, I may not even need the Stabil?

Thanks.

Reply to
Andy

I run mine dry, including choking it as it stalls to keep i running and burn up the last of the gas. I've never used stabil.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

the main thing always use fresh gas

Reply to
henryc

I don't do anything special with my saws. Just mix the oil and gas at whatever ratio it says and usually fill the oil tank and the gas tank after each use. Usually about 6-7 months that it sits over winter.

If you d>

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Are you sure you need a gas powered one? If you only need a saw with a 14" bar, maybe an electric would do.

Reply to
Marilyn and Bob

Good question Bob and one I've thought about long and hard. Electric is tempting but I have to prune palm fronds and they are notoriously tough. I'm not sure an electric saw would have the oomph to cut through them.

If George can let his sit for 6 or 7 months without a problem, then maybe all my worries are for naught.

I did Google this question on newgroups and the web and find about half recommending running it dry and the other half saying keep it topped up. That is the main thing I'm puzzling over now.

Reply to
Andy

I went through the same thing a few years ago. Then someone who had used both types told me to get Electric unless I really needed to go off into the woods and maybe then to get a generator.

Electrics work just fine. I think just as good as a similar gas type. The only problem is dragging around a long cord. Check the owners manual about cord size. Most will say 14 gauge is ok up to 50 feet. I I burned out an electric motor by using too light of a 100 foot cord. I now have a 100 foot 10 gauge cord. Heavy but works great.

I have no hesitation about getting the electric saw out to make one or two small cuts.

The last one I bought was a 16 inch at Lowes. It came all assembled ready to go. Just put in oil and cut. It didn't cut worth a damn. It was then I noticed that it came from the factory with the chain on backwards.

Reply to
Dick

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Well, I'm in the 'run it dry' camp. The reason is that old gas, when left un-disturbed for months on end tends to turn to a gummy varnish (bad for carbs).

The 'fill'er up' folks will probably tell you it avoids condensation, but if you leave the gas cap loosened, if there is any (which I've never seen) it will evaporate, and you'll still be good.

Both sides of my entire family are blue-collar, and we all actually agree on 'run it dry' for longer-term storage.

Reply to
The Gnerd

|Yuk, have you ever used an electric chain saw?

I have a 14" Remington from a polesaw, works fine for anything up to 8" diameter, and my trees are oak. I also have a 18" gas unit when I need to fell a tree or if I need to get away from the house and use it. If I had a generator I'd consider using the electric more.

|> > If you dont anticipate much use I would mix only small |> > amounts of gas/oil mixture such as a quart at a time, |> > whether you stabil or not. And at least every 6 month, |> > empty the tank mix a fresh batch (new gasoline) and run |> > briefly. Do the same before an anticipated long period of |> > non-use. Do not empty the tank for storage; that is likely |> > to lead to other problems. |> >

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

As you've noticed, you've gotten a wide range of opinions. And here is mine!

I run the engine dry, and then pump the primer and run it some more. Till I've burnt out all the gas fumes. I leave the bar oil in. So far, it's been fairly good to me.

I have a one galon can of gas oil mix. If it sits longer than about six months, I pour the gas into the gastank of my truck, and go buy new gas, and put some oil in. I don't use Stabil.

32:1 works for just about everything two stroke. Four ounces of oil per galon of gas. I know that will open a whole new thread about 50:1 and 16:1, but for me I use 32:1 in everything, and havn't had anything go bad. No motors siezed up, etc.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Electric is really nice when you are hanging on the top of a ladder.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Forget ECHO get a STIHL. You can get a really nice one for well under 200. They also have some neat features that no body else has, like a way to adjust chain without tools.

Reply to
JD

Here Here!

Have a Stihl for a few years. Runs great. My uncle heats his house with wood all winter long, and he has owned his Stihl for 15 years, even dropped a tree on it once... a bad situation, came out pretty well untouched.

Used one once for cutting a hole in the ice in the lake, had the thing buried in ice when I was done, still running.

Amazing.

Reply to
Chevguy

Let it idle until it is out of fuel take out the spark plug and put in two drops of two cycle oil. pull it over a couple of times. Put the plug back in

When you refuel then use fresh gasoline, ( spend the extra .20 and get premium) Use STIHL brand oil to the ratio for the saw. Should start in a couple of pulls.

Reply to
JD