Chain saw questions

My friend has come by a big roll of chain saw chain, a breaker, and maybe even a sharpener.

Is this similar to a motorcycle chain breaker that uses a screw to force the pin out, or does one use a punch?

Is there a master link on a chainsaw chain, or does one put the pin in and squeeze it/hit it to mushroom the ends?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve B wrote: ...

Master link on any ones I've ever had; afaik that's universal.

--

Reply to
dpb

You usually never mess with links on a chain saw. You buy the correct size.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Unless you have a big roll of chain saw chain handy. Then you'd be stupid to do otherwise.

That would be like making a special trip to buy a 10 foot rope when you have a

1000 foot roll on the shelf.
Reply to
Bob F

I'm suprised you came across a "roll".... chainsaw chain is like a "sealed unit" that has no master link as you asked. It's done like that for safety because if a tree limb happened to knock the master link off and the chain broke in two there is no way of telling where that chain would whip around and what body part it would connect with etc. I personally know what it's like to get bit by a chainsaw as a few years ago I bounced a running chainsaw off my ankle... Chainsaw chain is bought by a sealed length and thickness... Jim

Reply to
Jim

Is that why they sell the equipment to do this, sell rolls of 100 foot of chain, and if you go into a hardware store or saw shop, they will custom cut you one?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If you don't know anything about the subject, just say so or please refrain from answering. It's okay. Really.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yes, I know that. However, in my part of the world, it is very common practice for a shop to have a long roll of chain, and to custom make chains. Among loggers, it is common to cut chains from a long piece rather than to buy precut chains, which are more money.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Jim" wrote

I intend to do that tomorrow. However, I thought that someone here might have some experience with this. Isn't that what we have the newsgroup for, people looking for answers from more experienced people?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Zackly-- As Plato might have said; "One asks, many answer, all learn"

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

That's the intent.

But unfortunately a bunch of guys-- most probably with short or limp Johnsons-- for the first time in their lives can exercise some "power" here by sounding aggressive or being critical of others in the NG.

Most of these guys' usual dealing with people include phrases like "Would you like fries with that" or "I've finished mowing your lawn and blowing the leaves, same time next week?"

Reply to
Red

Notice that most of them also have those cutesy 'nospam' addresses so they don't get those big mean emails that they apparently don't know how to delete.

You're too kind.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Haven't read the entire thread yet but..

No, there is no "master link" The tool should have a screw type punch to force out one of the rivets (if you are repairing a chain).

To make a new loop, you count off the number of drivers you need, get out a repair link pack (not sure what thr right name is) conatinaing one chain strap with two 'pegs' riveted in and one free side strap. Connect the chain, put in the rivet spinner and screw it down (twice). You're done.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Did you ever see a roll of saw chain?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

No. I haven't been so lucky. But the O.P. has.

Reply to
Bob F

It's never stopped me. :-P

Jim

Reply to
Master Betty

FWIW, mine is a perfectly valid address.

Reply to
Bob F

Yeah. You could too, if you follow this link;

It ain't rare.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Chain breakers are similar to the MC one but the rivets are upset with a tool that spins and compresses them. Smacking them is a bad idea because each rivet is also a bearing.

Reply to
beecrofter