Chain Saw Question

I have my choice of cutting up some just downed trees, pretty wet, in the next few days, OR, letting them dry for a few months and cutting them up next spring or summer. There is no problem leaving them where they are for months. My question is: does a chain saw work better on dried out wood, or on moist wood? (By better, I mean speed of cutting, wear on the blades, etc.)

Thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

Green wood is a little heavier to throw into a truck, but I think a chain saw handles it better than dry wood. Oil on the chain will keep sap from gumming it. I keep a brush handy in case there's grit where I intend to saw.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Hi, Dry wood is harder ro cut for the saw.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It works best on clean, non-rotting, non-settled into the dirt, wood. The logs aren't likely to dry out much, so the wet vs. dry isn't a significant concern.

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

fresh wood cuts far easier, dry wood weighs less to move

Reply to
hallerb

the green wood is a little easier on the chain. The sap provides *some* cooling and lube. Also as the wood seasons, it'll get harder. Cut it now, and it'll dry out faster also. (if it's gonna be firewood)

Reply to
Steve Barker

Green wood cuts much easier than dried wood. Wet (green) wood fibers are fuzzy and limp, dried wood fibers are stiff and locked into each other with considerable force. Your tools will remain sharper longer cutting green wood over dried wood of the same variety. The water offers some lubrication and cooling.

Reply to
Phisherman