Chain saw

Get real. . . Safety goggles and foam ear plugs cost hell of a-lot less & will do the same. Chaps . . .o.k . . & what hell is safety chain? ? the saw already has a anti kickback piece installed on it.. Lady, unless yer cutting wood only 6'' in diameter don't get electric. go to home depot and get a 16'' or 18'' gas saw. average price is 120.00 - 150.00

Reply to
Playintennis5274

I like my electric but hate the cord, its cut a few 14" trees down fine, no motor or noise. But without 12 ga cord you can burn it up. They compare to small gas, sthill has a good one. No reason if you keep the voltage at 120 it should outlast gas, electric motors have a longer hr rating than gas. But unless you are nearby running a cord is always a pain. As to how it realy compares a Sthill dealer would now best.

Reply to
m Ransley

Safety goggles won't keep a saw out of your face in the event of a kick back. Getting hit in the face with a sharp saw chain is going to slash the hell out of you even if it's not spinning because the chain brake stopped it. Buy the hardhat and face shield. It's not that expensive.

Safety chain has a modified tooth pattern and is now required for initial installation on all saws sold with an engine less than 3.8 cubic inches. It cuts slightly slower and has "guard links" to reduce the possibility of kick back. Safety chain will be marked with a blue label, professional non-safety chain will have a yellow label. There's rip chain also which is non-safety. If you buy a spare chain from the dealer, be sure you get safety chain. Both types will work on the saw, but one is better for unskilled (non professional) users.

No safety device will prevent kick back on a hand held saw. The safety chain, modified bar and the chain brake will reduce the likelyhood of getting killed, but they can't save you from making a mistake ( such as being careless in making a plunge cut or having the blade nose hit something behind the tree that your are cutting ).

None of the "Big Box" stores like Home Depot sell professional saws which is what the original poster asked for. Buy the saw from someone who can service it.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

Hi, I like Stihl saws. They have good service as well. I hate electric anything. They don't have guts. Mower, trimmer, weed eater, saw, snow blower, etc. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The electrics have nowhere near the power and speed. They do have a place though. Many homeowners use a chain saw only once every year or so to cut a few branches. Between uses, the fuel goes bad, you forget how to choke it, it is messy, etc. They are not for cutting up a few cords of wood, but for a few branches, they work.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This is Turtle.

You and Thousands other Too. I think they are the best there is to piss people and seem to think it is good.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I can not remember the model, But I bought the wife one of the electric 18" models so she could do some trimming work in the yard without waiting on me. I thought they were not going to be that good but was impressed with the cutting ability and power for the one I got. I even use if many times for small jobs. I have cut some big pieces, and though the gas powered ones can be more powerfull, for the size is pretty good.

Reply to
MC

We live on 40 acres so an electric chain saw was not an option. My husband's old one just pooped out (I don't remember what brand it was) but before buying another one we wanted to make sure we didn't make a mistake. He doesn't use it a lot but it's handy to have around when he needs it.

We decided on the Husqvarna 136 16". He hasn't used it yet but will let you know his opinion of it.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Newsgroups are a wonderful thing!

Debbie

| > Debbie | | This is Turtle. | | You might if you like to post back and tell what model / Brand you end up with. | | TURTLE | |

Reply to
DebbieG