Central a/c package compressor seized

Greetings, I live in Tampa FL and my central a/c Rheem packaged unit died. Tech said that the compressor seized up. Also said the unit was probably a 7.0 seer unit about 15+ years old. Recommended a compressor replacement or a new packaged unit (2 months ago he repaired a leak in a capillary? tube). I figured that with the age of the unit that I should go with a replacement packaged unit (5 Ton). Recommended a Miller which I never heard of and Internet search turned up zip(amazing). Since I wanted something more known he recommended a Payne (Carrier) 12 seer (fits my wallet). Anyone know anything about the current crop of Payne packaged 12 seer (a/c only) units? Thanks Greyhound

Reply to
Grey-hound

Grey-hound"

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Grey-hound"

Reply to
Travis Jordan

As the others have said, worry about the installer more than the brand.

HOWEVER!!!

Get at LEAST 3 different QUOTES (not estimates) from three different companies.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Installer is more important!

Get some one that will do a heat gain calculation to size the unit to your home. (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!)

Don't just install the same size as you have now (cause it being 15 years old), it is probably oversized.

Oversized units will not only cost you money, but will compromise your comfort.

Also, with you being in a state where you use the A/C most of the time, buy the highest SEER unit you can afford.

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

This is Turtle.

The installer is 90% of a good running system and with this said.

Now Miller / frigidaire Sucks on duriability but the 5 ton Miller Package unit will come with a scroll compressor and will put them in the maybe ok ballpark. If it is the lower tonages than a 5 ton they suck.

Carrier / Payne will do but just will say OK I guess.

You might try to get you another Rheem / Ruud but don't give up the good installer.

Miller / Frigidaire / Nordyne / InterTherm / bunch of other names of units made for trailor house use.

Take any brand before you give up a good installer.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE