Houston, Texas price for central a/c installed

Got a quote today for a Trane 4 ton (replacing a 3.5 ton) XL15 outside unit with a matching Trane coil inside. Installed was $7800. I'm thinking a more fair price is $7000 but this is just based on some brief internet reading.

I was told that a 1/2 ton upsize is not a big deal. In general do you agree? I'm guessing the a/c guy who spoke with me is correct.

I'm going to get another 1 or 2 bids but meanwhile any suggestions or comments? Thanks.

Reply to
Observer

Did the old unit cool on the hottest days to your comfort and get humidity low by running near 100%, if so it was probably sized right. I had AC put in , then I insulated and put in new windows. Now I am humid because my AC is oversized to the point I need to run 2 dehumidifiers because the AC cools to quickly, and wont remove much moisture. 1/2 ton upsizing can be a big deal since it wont run as long to remove humidity. A pro would know that and im not a pro. A written load calculation is best, but if you cooled before and humidity was low, why pay More, for a bigger unit. If you did any insulating or will and considering the old unit probably wasnt running 100%, 1/2 ton less sounds more logical, get a real pro to help you do it right. After its installed and paid for its to late.

Reply to
ransley

Id rather pay 10% more for a top install, where I knew everything was planned out, sizing, ducts and everything was tested, so it would get me the efficency and comfort I paid for. Ive had and seen to many hack jobs. Sound like you gotta hacker for a buk.

Reply to
ransley

If your installer is using a rule of thumb or telling you 1/2 ton plus or minus is no big deal, you need to find one who knows how to a do a Manual J and Manual D evaluation of your home.

If he's oversizing - especially in Houston - you will be short cycling and a prime candidate for mold. If he undersizes, you won't like the lack of cooling.

Reply to
Robert Neville

My compressor (Trane) went boom during hurricane Yikes. I have a neighbor who works for a large A/C company during the day and free-lances during the evening. He came over one night and replaced the entire condensing unit with a two-year old unit (Ruud - owned by Rheem), recharged it, etc. Charged eight hundred bucks and guaranteed the whole shebang for a couple of years.

It's been working swell for seven months.

I'm confident his guarantee will hold up, because: a) He knows I know where he lives, and b) He knows I have guns.

Send me a note and I'll pass on your contact information to my neighbor.

Reply to
HeyBub

Did you mean to write "I know where HE lives"?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like a lot of money. Please make a few more calls. I'm in the Rochester, NY aread. The guy I used to work for, we used to put AC into a house which didn't have AC. And the final price was less than half what you quoted. Of course, it's a different market.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Fair may be $6500 or $8500. None of us can see the job from here. We don't know what pitfalls may be in this particular job, what obstructions, etc. may be in place. Location and accessibility can add quite a bit to a job also. Talk to a couple of contractors before you decide.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Do not fall into the trap of believing that more BTUH is better and if you can get a larger unit for only slightly more you should do it. Oversizing is common for many reasons but causes unnecessary expense in initial installation, operating costs, and repairs. Comfort satisfaction can actually be reduced due to inadequate de-humidification, and increased noise and cold drafts. Get as close as possible to the size required for the calculated heat load. Pay lots more attention to the installer than to the equipment brand or size.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Uh, that's what I did write.

Reply to
HeyBub

I went back and looked at my post. Yep, that's what you wrote. I wonder how I missed that? Been a hot couple days. I've been making some strange mistakes. Ah, well.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was inspired by Daniel Hannan, British MP, who recently said of Gordon Brown: "We know that you know that we know (that you're just putting us on)."

Reply to
HeyBub

An outstanding video.

Oren

Thanks for the link. I never tire of watching it. Here's another of my favorites:

(I love it when a pompous ass gets his comeuppance!)

Reply to
HeyBub