Ceiling Strapping...

I am re-finishing my attic which has a cathedral ceiling. The attic ceiling used to have wood panelling applied over 1x3 strapping. I took down the panelling and want to apply 1/2" drywall it its place. The ceiling rafters are really crooked (as much as 1 inch difference from one rafter to the next), so I *think* I need to use *some sort of strapping*.

A) Should I leave the 1x3 strapping and shim the strapping level to prepare for the 1/2" drywall? (The strapping is not shimmed at all right now). I suspect this would take a-lot of work, and I am not sure how to do it.

B) Or should I take down the 1x3 strapping, and apply 2x2 strapping in its place. The 2x2 strapping would simply be 2x4's ripped in half. I suspect this method would be much easier as the 2x2's will be much stiffer.

C) In either case, should I screw or nail up the strapping? Thanks!!!

Reply to
jay hey

If the rafters are out that much the strapping has probably taken a set. You'd shim the low spot, but there'd probably be a bow on either side. The drywall might not be flat, in that case.

You'll lose room with 2x material. Use 1x3 strapping, it's cheaper and the drywall will still be plenty stiff. That's more of a function of the drywall thickness and framing spacing than the framing thickness, anyway. If you want to bump up the stiffness, space the strapping 12" on center.

I prefer deck screws but coated nails will work, too.

RicodJour

Thanks for your response. I will go to work now!!!

Reply to
jay hey

Regardless if its size, do not depend on the strapping to make a level surface when the rafters are uneven. You will have to shim the low spots (much easier) or trim the high spots (ok if only a few places) using a string or other straightedge.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young