ceiling fan with lights "special switch"? does this type exist?

I have a _very_ old single speed ceiling fan which I'd like to install on the back porch (known good, and working fine), on an existing normal 'light' circuit (wall switched). the fan is single speed, six bladed, 32 inch diameter, Emerson, (amp rating unknown and not on the ID plate). there is a partial 'light kit' installed (apparently original vintage), consisting of a fancy solid brass lower 'small juice can' shaped lower projection, and there is a 'thru wire' ability (empty OD-threaded tube) from top of fan all the way to extreme bottom of fan. I'd like to hook up some lower lights to the fan (can figure the mechanical details' on that myself). however, I'd also like to install, if such is possible, a pull-chain type switch on the fan, at bottom, that has four positions: lights only on, lights and fan on, fan on only, and "all off".

question: do such four-position pull chain switches exist? I realize I could pull add'l wires thru the wall and run an add'l circuit to accomplish this, but I'd rather not...of course, I'm open to 'alternate ideas' to accomplish the feat :-)

thanks for tips , ideas and clues :-)

Reply to
dave

Try these guys :

I helped our local shelter with a project a while back and they were very helpful.

Consider using a remote too.... you'll never go back to the old pull switch.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Get a remote, or 2 pull chain switches, or one just for the light. A remote will make it variable speed. and light dimming if you get the right one. Remote is best .

Reply to
m Ransley

if its a single speed fan then you probably only need a sitch for a three speed fan: one for off, 2 for fan, three for light and four for fan and light... the ones for three speed fans have: off, low, med and high speed...' it should work if you know how to rig up the mechanical stuff then you should have no problem with the electric stuff either... they are common fan switched... (three speeds and off, dont know if they call them 4 way switches or not, but go to home depot and look at them), cost about $3.00. not much to loose to try....

Reply to
dbird