Ceiling fan problem

Can someone please tell me what causes a new ceiling fan to "hum" or "growl"? Is there a "fix" for this? Many thanks.

Joe Martin

Reply to
Joe Martin

One cause can be a poor quality or defective speed controller.

jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ.

jim evans

Regency changes models often, and you can get the old models on closeout. I have a 5-blade 60" Regency ceiling fan that I only paid $60 for. It is in a family room with a wood stove, so it runs summer and winter. It is

5 years old and still not making a sound, except for blade noise when you run it on high. At the low setting, it is virtually silent, and moves a lot of air.
Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Inadequate ground, or resistance in the neutral wire due to a loose connection can cause a hum.

BB

Reply to
Binary_BillTheSailor

Do you have it running on a regular light switch?...or is it on a light dimmer switch?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Help keep down the world population...have your partner spayed or neutered.

Reply to
Trent©