Cast iron drain pipe

Here's the path (NPI) of ownership/responsibility that my water line follows:

The water main under the street, the pipe to the valve box and the valve in my front yard is owned/controlled by a local Water Authority. (Not the town and not the county. The Water Authority is an entity unto itself. They buy our water from the county) That valve requires the long wrench. Our frost line is 48", so the valve has to be below that.

The pipe from the yard shut-off to my house and the main in-house valve and any pipe/nipple before the meter is the homeowner's responsibility.

The meter itself is owned by, and the responsibility of, the aforementioned Water Authority.

Anything after the meter belongs to the homeowner.

When I had my in-house valve replaced, I called the Water Authority to have the water turned off in the yard. I also asked them if it was OK if the plumber rotated the meter 90°. The valve and meter are in a basement bathroom and I built a cabinet around them, making the meter hard to read) They said Yes. When I told the plumber that I wanted the meter rotated 90°, he said "Did you ask the Water Authority?" :-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

On Sat, 26 Jun 2021 15:18:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

Looks like rebar...

Reply to
Tekkie©

Hi, In my experience, no plumbers refuse to work on old properties. We bought an old house and did some minor renovations. We also [url=

*employ the services of a skilled plumber* [/url]and electrician. For our old house, they installed everything new. So far, we haven't had any problems with it.

Reply to
Michaels Redwine

Hi, In my experience, no plumbers refuse to work on old properties. We bought an old house and did some minor renovations. We also *employ the services of a skilled plumber *and electrician. For our old house, they installed everything new. So far, we haven't had any problems with it.

Reply to
Michaels Redwine

For a complete rework of all the system it is one thing. To do a minor repair often leads into major work and the plumbers do not want to be blamed for that.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery