Cash out for dishonest Vendor

I have AHS, it has bern nothing but a nightmare... The first vendor they sent me was dishonest... They wanted to ignore all the other plumbing issues that were included in my request.... The salesman came from Circa and said everything else was not covered and they wanted to replace my water heater, but I had to pay almost 600.00 as a “Hook up Fee!” I told Circa they were being dishonest and AHS and they transferred my work to another vendor, who was more honest and tried to repair some of the plumbing issues.... Fast fwd to my water-heater was never transferred to all hours emergency plumbing... and niw AHS is saying “Their hands are tied, I will have to do a cash out on service and cost of water-heater...So does anyone know what they are going to OFFER ME?

Reply to
Behonest

Why didn't you ask them? Whatever it is I would pretty much guarantee that it's substantially less than what it will cost to put a new one in. Similar warranty companies are running the same thing on car warranties. On TV they say when your car breaks down, just take it to your favorite mechanic or the dealer. Yeah, like the dealer is going to do a $1000 job for the $300 they will offer. Plenty of horror stories online, people have their car stuck at a repair shop for a week, the repair shop can't get through to the warranty company, they just leave them on hold for an hour, then they say they have to send over one of their people to see it first, another week, then they say it's not covered due to some lame excuse. I also saw stories where people say they put a car on the warranty plan, then 3 months later when they had a problem, the warranty company says, no that isn't the car that was put on the plan, even though you've been paying them!

Reply to
trader_4

If you talk real nice to them, they may offer you a jar of Vasolean.

I had a water heater replaced a few months back. First estimate was for about $ 1800 from a company advertised locally on tv as Ben Franklin. Called another local plummer and 2 men came out and replaced the water heater and carried the old one off for about $ 950.

I bought a house that was about 20 years old. They wanted me to get a home warranty . I looked it over and with the deductible clause, I could replace just about everything they covered in what they would have charged me in about 3 years.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That is the real problem. You'd have done better just calling a local plumber and save the premium you pay for useless service. Put that premium money in the bank and come out way ahead.

I've been a homeowner for 54 years. If I paid for AHS all that time, adjusted for inflation, I would have paid out about $30,000. Anything they would have covered in those years may be about $3000.

The money save is sitting is a CD making me hundreds of dollars a year in interest. Hope you learned a lesson.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Of course, you can buy one for about $600 from home depot and install it yourself.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I could have as I have done it before. This water heater is under the house. The access hole is about 2 feet square. Then it opens up tall enough to stand up in. I just did not feel like fighting that heater through the hole being 70 years old. More money than urge to do it. I can do plumbing, but I really hate to do anything with water pipes.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Two houses ago, the seller included a prepaid year with AHS. About 9 months in, they started bugging me to renew. When I started reading the fine print, holy cow there's almost nothing that is fully covered. There were exceptions on top of exceptions, and they get to pick the service people. No, thanks.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

In some areas of San Antonio, you can't. They've enacted ordinances that say only a licensed plumber can replace a water heater. One older guy in the neighborhood took it upon himself to swap out his water heater and the city (not SA, but his suburb) fined him $900 for not pulling a permit and not using a licensed plumber.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Wow, another example of what we were talking about, the country going more lib nuts. Even here in NJ you can install your own water heater, though you're supposed to get a permit and inspection which is ~$50.

Reply to
trader_4

We have some democrat/union influence here too.

You have to buy water heaters out of town and truck them in after dark.

And for the love of God, don't put the old one out by the street for trash pickup.

Cut it up with a sawzall and hide the pieces in the trash.

Reply to
Bubba

Any insurance just smooths out the costs of those insured and it would not be sold if the insurance company did not make a profit.

We need health insurance as any serious health problem can easily cost in excess of $100,000

The need for extended car warranty insurance or home insurance is nebulous and then you have to fight with the insurance company to be satisfied. A new well last year cost me seven grand. I'll bet if I had AHS they would not have paid for it as I was getting water from the old well which was in a state of collapse and could go any time.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

First sensable thing I have heard about California and their government.

I just hope that all the people moving to NC do not bring all the junk rules with them. Not much needed in the way of permits for doing your own repairs yet. If I remember correctly you can do your own electrical repair work without a license or permit. However if doing it for someone else it does take a license electrician or plumber. I cold have replaced my water heater a few months back, but thought it was worth the $ 200 labor to have someone else do the job. If I had put my time in it going to get it and the parts and hauling it off, I probably would have close to that in it anyway. Did I mention I hate to deal with water and plumbing.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If you'd seen some of the shit that ignorant homeowners have done (especially electrical), you might reconsider :-)

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yeah, it's crazy. I don't remember all of the justification details that were provided at the time, but I remember that 'homeowner safety' was part of it, along with lower homeowner insurance premiums for the area because you don't have unqualified people doing their own work. None of that really made sense to me at the time.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Texas' Republican state government was an endless source of frustration while I was there. No traction on anything unless it was pro gun, bathroom bills, and other stupid stuff like that.

Thanks for the correction.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I worked with a man that had his electrical license. I don't know how he managed to keep his job at the plant from the things he did. He was hired by a few at the plant to do some work on their homes. Several ran him off for the type of work he did. I would not let him change a battery in a one cell flashlight.

He retired and went to work as a handy man at a nursing home. He lasted about 3 months before the fired him. What really got him fired was when he was cleaning something off the floor with gasolene. Just thank of about a quart of gas pored out on the tile floor and how little it would take to set it off to make a big fire.

Most of the thing for permits is more money for the town. They get to add value to the house as they can tell what improvements you are making.

One of our county inspectors was a police man before he was in a wreck (not his fault) and could not do the police job any more. He had very little training on what to look for.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery