Carbon Monoxide

Oh no! This was absolutely NOT a false alarm, they rushed him to the hospital ASAP and the whole time had him on oxygen,,,they absolutely said a few more minutes he would have been dead.

Yes, CO is odorless but a car also emits hydrocarbons and I suspect it was probably and old junker and might have had odoriferous fumes

Reply to
philo

Yep, I'm sure the car was a POS

Reply to
philo

They are mandatory today in many states for new construction, when you get a CO for sale, in rentals, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

I'd be worried about it, especially when it's apparently a rental and the tenant probably doesn't know much about how the garage is constructed. It's not unheard of for there to be a path from the garage to the home HVAC intake, for example. A lot can also depend on the wind, ie is it blowing the exhaust back into the garage?

I can tell you that I was affected by CO from the generator on my boat one day. I was anchored in a bay, with the gen running. The exhaust comes out the back, near the water level. I was inside the cabin, with the door open, and enough exhaust apparently was blowing back that after 30 mins or so, I started to feel light headed. Quite a few people have died while swimming close behind boats like that too. I turned off the gen, stayed outside for 15 mins or so and was fine.

I think running an engine in a garage like that is a very bad idea. Even if it doesn't kill someone in the house, foolish people can get used to it, not be thinking and maybe go back into the garage to do something while the car is warming up, not realizing that the CO level there can be high.

Reply to
trader_4

The guy who got CO poisoned said the house is a cheap POS and the floor of the room directly over the car does not even have insulation.

Since he posted on FB today I assume is is not dead yet.

I never wanted a house with a built-in garage just for reasons like that.

I do not even have a garage at all and knew if I built one, I'd just be one of those people who would fill it with crap and still end up parking the car outside.

Reply to
philo

Really should be.

Reply to
philo

People have failed in their attempts to commit suicide running a late model Subaru in an enclosed garage because the co level is SO low. They MAY have succeded if they started the car cold in the garage instead of coming in all steemed up with the engine fully warmed up and deciding to end it.

Reply to
clare
[snip]

I have a friend who has one in an all-electric apartment (there should be no fuel of any kind anywhere in the building).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd