can't turn oven thermostat

Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to unstick our oven thermostat (Tappan gas oven) The part costs about sixty dollars, not bad , but if we force the knob with a wrench the oven still works fine. Why did the knob suddenly become impossible to turn? (this happened overnight- one day it was fine, the next,stuck.) Even when we took of the knob,not easy, and use a wrench this thing is really hard to move. we're afraid that well get it to turn on but not be able to turn it off.

Reply to
dkorb1

i'd try some small spurts of wd40 at the base of the shaft as it enters the control would work best if oven was laying on its 'back'. couldn't hurt, tis a mechanical device. It may be a rubber o-ring breaking down.

lee

Reply to
lee houston

Reply to