Can I use a satellite dish as an antenna?

Moved into a house that has a Hughes satellite dish mounted near the roof line. The house is wired for both satellite and cable. I've opted for cable for now. However, I'm curious to know if I could use the existing satellite dish (in conjunction with a tuner) as an antenna to pick up local TV stations.

In my area, Time Warner Cable is not permitted to carry the HD signals of the Sinclair Broadcasting FOX and ABC affiliates. I'm frustrated by the limited HD options and would like to purchase a tuner to use with my Sony projection system. The projection system is located in the basement of the house and I would have very easy access to the coax going to the dish. Mounting an actual antenna outside would require a bit of additional effort. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

Ed is correct about the microwave aspect of the dish, however they do sell a circular antenna that rings the perimeter of the dish itself so as to be stealthy. It is intended for just the normal broadcast bands and usual TV tuner setup. Now, if you're asking if it works well, I'd say it can't be as good as a 8 element beam (the typical antenna) because it has a compromised configuration and no gain. If you are close to the towers and have no obstructions, it should work well. But, otherwise......who knows. Since you mention HD, you are talking digital. This now means a more stringent signal, and ghosting problems. I'm hesitant to imply this circular antenna will work well in the HD case because it will require tweeking the dish directions to get the best signal, and how good the end result will be may be marginal by the nature of the parameters. Make sure the antenna is returnable..............

Les KA9GLW

Reply to
les

Nope, it is designed to pick up a signal from a geostationary satellite. You need a real antenna that is tuned to the TV frequencies.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thank you for the input I appreciate it.

If Time Warner can't resolve their impasse with Sinclair, I'll want to do something to secure the high def signal from the local Fox and ABC affiliates.

Thanks again.

Reply to
nospam