Can I Replace All My Fuses WIth Time Delay Fuses?

The odd time when I do a renovation I large power tool blows a fuse on start up. Given that Time delay fuses are the same price at regular fuses, would there be any problem in using time delay fuses exclusively in my fuse box?

Reply to
matt_milligan2

No

Reply to
RBM

If your talking about the screw in glass type your better off buying mini breakers, they screw in like fuses, when they trip a small button pops out, just push to reset.

being its a breaker it has auto time delay built in.

I used them exclusively before upgrading to breakers years ago.

not as cheap as fuses but way more convenient....

you really need to plan on replacing your service, if you attempt to sell your home it will be a BIG issue......

Reply to
hallerb

Nothing unsafe about fuses IF the correct sizes are used, and the service is sufficient for the needs of the house...

Of course, a modern breaker panel with larger service is always going to be a better selling point. But a proper fuse panel shouldn't be a dealbreaker, unless you have strange local regs, or a really picky/paranoid buyer...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

obviously you havent sold a home recently, buyers now demand perfection or large price cuts.

things like demanding GFCIs in a 50 year old home.......

Hey lets get a estimate to bring this all up to current code and just deduct from purchase price:(

Reply to
hallerb

What is the problem using time delay fuses?

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

There isn't one!!!

Reply to
RBM

Take a look at:

Joseph Meehan

I'm missing your point

Reply to
RBM

I guess I can believe that.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Who said there was a problem?

Reply to
CJT

Sorry, I read your answer opposite of what you said.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

I think we both did.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

note all circuit breakers for homes are designed as time delay......

Reply to
hallerb

No...more likely it sounds like you're either guessing or have had ONE experience lately.

Reply to
Pop`ö

no I sold a home nearly 2 years ago......

lots of friends report the same issues, primarily driven by the home inspection industry.

just go ask a realtor who is selling homes today.....

realtor say they sell homes twice initially then after inspection

Reply to
hallerb

Really depends on the market. 5 years ago a buyer couldn't demand anything, as there were 8 other buyers waiting with offers, sometimes even higher ones than the asking price. Today things have cooled down considerably and there's more homes than buyers in many markets...

I was fortunate to have sold 4 years ago during the "seller's market". Unfortunately I also had to buy during that period, and the seller woudn't budge on any of the issues we brought up -- and they were a lot more significant than a perfectly-safe fuse panel...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer