Can i look at eclipse with

Cell phone? Att says yes. Millions of glasses sold. Are they just suckers?

Reply to
Thomas

I assume you mean view it by using the camera of the cell phone and looking at the LCD display. I don't see how that could work, the sun is way too bright and will just overwhelm the camera. If you're where there is a total eclipse, for the couple mins it's total, you don't need anything and you could take a pic then.

I have an arc welding helmet that I'll be using. Even NASA can't agree on whether a shade 12 glass is sufficient or you need 14. Mine is 10 and I'm going to use that together with sunglasses. I'm sure there will be plenty of people telling me I'll go blind... I'm far more comfortable using that than one of the millions of those $1 eclipse glasses that God knows who in China made out of what.

Fixing to drive south to SC tomorrow to see it.

Reply to
trader_4

That's an excellent option. If you can't find a hundred websites with real-time eclipse pictures, you're not trying.

Reply to
mike

I wouldn't risk my cell phone, or my eyes.

This morning I mentioned that I intended to use a pinhole camera made from two index cards (the low-tech solution). My husband said he had some "welding glass" (perhaps scavenged from an old mask) and he'd see if he had enough for both of us.

He's a laser engineer. In his lab there's a sign that reads: Do not look into laser with remaining eye I tend to trust him on these things.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

This thread got me thinking about photos or video of the eclipse ... lots of good info out there from a quick google search -

- my favourite one said that if you wish to video the event - forget the sky - point your video at all the people around you and record their reactions and especially the audio ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

I'd love to see it but not possible to travel there right now. Here in CT we are way out of the path. I did see where farmers are getting big buck letting people camp out in their fields. I imagine there will be big crowds in some places.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 10:08:48 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Back from the eclipse. We viewed it from Sandy Run, SC, which was right on the center line of the path. Drove down Sunday to Fayettsville, NC which is about two hours 15 min north of Santee, SC with is center of the eclipse and close to 95. Planned on going there, but Mon morning it was 50% cloudy and from looking at the weather, it looked like it was forecasted to possibly be a little better inland. So, we diverted part way down to Columbia and then to Sandy Run, just a little southeast of Columbia, right on the line.

On the ride down, traffic was fine, moving right along. Stopped in Columbia at Doc's BBQ for lunch. As we headed over to Sandy Run area, noticed that rest areas along the highway were closed, they were full of cars, campers, already. So, we got off the road and started scouting around. There were signs directing to parking for the eclipse, which turned out to be a field where the owner was charging. IDK how much, didn't stop, figured we'd scope out other locations, we had close to an hour. We passed empty church lots, considered one of those, not much else there, it's very rural. Just about when we were going to turn around, I spotted Bunky's Tavern, a small, no frill little bar club for locals. There were two cars and two Harleys outside. Just as we were about to walk in, a guy comes out, told us it's private but if we wanted to come in, it's cool, just tell them we're with him. So three of us walk in beers were $2 and they even had free eclipse glasses! About a dozen people there total. They had CNN on the TV, air conditioning, cold beer and best of all, the sky had cleared. Watched it from there, very cool. We even got to see the effect where you can see the eclipse on the ground just from the shadows cast by tree leaves. It was awesome. They had Carly Simon's You're so vain playing..." you flew your Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun...."

And then later I found out that the guy who invited us in worked for the same major company I worked at for 17 years. Amazing. All that was the great part. The bad part was leaving, worst traffic jam ever. The ride from Fayetsville that took 2 and half hours, took

6 and a half just to get back there. Just bumper to bumper, moving 20 MPH. Overall, definitely a great experience.
Reply to
trader_4