Can ab glue be used to repair underwater pipes?

Can AB glue be used to repair underwater galvanized or PVC pipes? The hole is about 1/16 inches on a 1 1/2 inch pipe which is less than 2 feet under water. There is only nominal pressure. I guess I can wrap around the hole with an elastic rubbe stripe if I can find one.

Reply to
Johm Smith

Yor could use a piece of rubber like material and a radiator clamp (screw clamp) . I repaired a water pipe in the house that way to hold to I could do a proper repair.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I once moved into a crummy apartment with crummy roommates and the kitchen sink drain poured out water. I used PC-7 while it was wet. It's soft when first mixed and I had to keep pushing it up against the pipe for 5 minutes but when done it no longer leaked. Pressure was even less than nominal I guess. Not sure what they say about entirely underwater.

Also there is a related product, PC-11 that is specifically for marine use. That's probably better here. PC-7 is grey and 11 is white.

It comes in various sizes and if you spoon it out with two different screwdrivers/popsicle sticks and you're careful not to let any of A get into the B and vice versa, the 4 oz. cans last unchanged at least 10 years.

If you do something like this, I'd run a band all the way around the pipe to help it stay on.

Reply to
micky

I'd probably go to the local hardware store for an 1 1/2" pvc pipe nipple a few inches long. Get some silicone sealant and a couple radiator hose clamps to hold the nipple in place. Cut the nipple lengthwise so it will fit over the bad pipe. Silicone the pipe nipple then clamp it in place. I wonder if the existing pipe has other problems besides the current leak.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman