Can A 12V Power Supply Wire Be Run Through A Wall?

buildings?? and

Yep...that's why I've been sitting back watching you guys hash this out.

My thoughts exactly.

In any case, the issue was resolved in another manner since I asked the question.

The device is the controller box for a 4 camera WiFi security system. The location where it was going to be placed was the only place where it could consistently communicate with all 4 cameras.

A deeper reading of the manual revealed that you can program the cameras to talk to/through each other, as opposed to each one talking directly to the controller.

e.g. Place the controller in Location A and all 4 cameras can communicate with it, but the power wiring is an issue.

Place it in Location B and only Cameras 1, 2, and 4 can reach it, but the power wiring is not a problem.

Now, program Camera 3 to send its signal to Camera 4 and let Camera 4 forward the video to the Controller. Problem solved and no need to run wires through a wall or ceiling.

OK, now for the next question:

- Camera mounted on exterior wall.

- Hole drilled through exterior siding and interior drywall.

- 12V wire from wall wart passed though hole to camera. Straight shot, maybe 6", no sleeve, no box.

- Mounting plate on camera covers the hole in exterior wall.

- RG6 style bushing used in interior drywall hole.

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

OK

Reply to
gfretwell

in buildings?? and

Thank you sir! (as always)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The wall wart wire through the wall will give some of the guys "code fits" - but as I've posted before, there is no code issue unless you have aluminum or steel siding in which case you really want either a sleave or a grommet.

Reply to
clare

ROFL

Just a few posts ago you told us there was no code covering Class 1, Class 2, period.

Reply to
trader_4