Cable vs. Satellite

"And contrary to another posting, you don't need a special antenna for local stations -- Dish network converts them into a satellite signal and they're downloaded just like the other hundreds of channels. "

Converts HD signals into a sat signal and downloads them? What are you talking about? The HD locals are transmitted from the local stations transmitter, not a satellite. And if you get the HD eqpt package from either Direct or Dish, while they give you the necessary equipment, the locals have to be received via a seperate antenna, not the sat dish.

Reply to
trader4

Uh, two recent studies, by the Pew Research Group and the Annenberg Foundation for Public Broadcasting, found Fox News to present the most balanced news reports (compared with the three major networks).

Fox News does have a couple of opinion shows (O'Reilly, etc.), but so do the majors (Ophra, Dr Phil, etc.). These shows are clearly labeled as such.

News vs. news, however, Fox is clearly more fair than the others.

Reply to
HeyBub

Tell your buddy to spray the dish with PAM.

Reply to
HeyBub

True, HeyBub.

O'Reilly is neither a Democrat or Republican. He's an independent and has often criticized policies of President Bush.

"Hannity and Colmes" - Hannity is conservative, while Colmes is liberal.

FoxNews features several liberal news analysts including Juan Williams, Mara Liasson, Susan Estrich.

Liberals Geraldo Rivera and Greta Van Susteren have their own FoxNews shows.

Those who state that FoxNews shows a high bias favoring conservatives obviously don't watch it. Instead, many let Hollywood stars do their research/thinking for them.

Reply to
texas twang

Actually, the satellite companies do NOT carry ABC, NBC and CBS as part of their packages in this area. If you want the major networks you have to sign up for local stations, which then provide you with all of the locals, including PBS, Fox, Paxon, etc. And contrary to another posting, you don't need a special antenna for local stations -- Dish network converts them into a satellite signal and they're downloaded just like the other hundreds of channels.

Reply to
World Traveler

My Time-Warner cablevision DVR records two at once, too. I love it.

What's a signal problem? ;-)

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Does it have "season passes" ? Just curious.

My dad was asking if he should get the DVR with his cable company, and I was telling him about Tivo's season pass functionality. He didn't know if the cable box could do that.

Reply to
Anonymous

Good tip. Thanks.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

We have satellite, lose signal when it storms. Neighbor's tree is almost large enough to block our signal.....I know there is hope for getting rid of Fox "News" :o)

Reply to
Norminn

On 07/23/05 08:37 am Norminn tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

We have satellite (DirecTV), but there's nothing (besides air, clouds, etc.) between our dish and the satellites.

Nearby trees, tall buildings, etc. mean that satellite isn't going to work for everyone.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy