cable track lighting repair question

I have cable track lighting - about 4+ years old, and it's been working great. All of a sudden, today it wouldn't turn on anymore. Does anyone know why this would happen and what the fix is? Some details are below, in case they may impact the answer, but there haven't been any changes between yesterday and today, so I don't know why it would all of a sudden crap out on me.

5 light heads that connect to two cables that run parallel and then go into the power source thing (sorry, I'm not that technical). My ex- boyfriend converted it from hardwire to a wall plug when we first got it. I had that wall plug plugged into a remote control system so I could easily turn the lights on and off without having to plug and unplug them from the wall each time. (yes, I've tried the lights without the remote control system - still not functioning, and I replaced the batteries in the remote control switch but to no avail) two of the halogen light bulbs that came with the system burned out this year, and i replaced them with non-ikea brand bulbs that seemed to work just fine. i put those in a couple weeks ago with no problems and they'd been working beautifully until today. I've tested the plug on other appliances and those work just fine, so it's not the wall, it's the lights. How can I fix this problem?

Thanks!

Reply to
vrooooom

These are low voltage with the current running through the cables or rods. The first thing I would do is tighten both connections where the cables attach to the transformer, then try it again, if that doesn't fix it, you'll need to open the transformer and check that you have the 12 or 24 volts coming out.

Reply to
RBM

I agree that the transformer may be the culprit. You mentioned that you replaced two bulbs with non-Ikea bulbs. Were the repacements that you used the same wattage as the old bulbs? If they were a higher wattage, that may have been the underlieing cause. Maybe the transformer has a fuse or some other sort of overcurrent protection that needs to be reset.

Reply to
John Grabowski