removing a section of ceramic tile

I need to remove broken potions of 6 1x1 ft. square tiles. I used a dremmel tool with the grout bit, but the bit simply burned up. The tile are installed over slab. I think the bit could not handle the harness of the concrete below. Is there a different tool that will handle this small job better?

Reply to
woodeagle45

Dremel has a guide for grinding out grout so you can set the depth. Sounds like you are just going too deep. Worked fine for me. I did, probably, over 100 linear feet of grout, two bits (I broke one).

Reply to
Norminn

I like a thin masonry blade in a circ saw when doing large areas like that. Besides the grout, you can cut large "X"'s in the face of the tile to help breaking them out.

The saw isn't too hard to handle, but maybe practice. Set a ShopVac hose up to catch the dust. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Do you have a 4" angle grinder? For $10 you can get a diamond saw blade for it that will cut right thru ceramic, grout, concrete, porcelain, etc.

Get a masonry chisel (not too wide!) and a drilling hammer and chisel them out once you get a piece loose.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob