Cabinet depth fridge or not

OK - What do most people do, or wish they had done. I am building a new house and am shopping for appliances. In considering refrigerators I am thinking cabinet depth may be nice.

Here is the layout in ASCII art, not to scale of course. Use a proportional (Courier) font to see it correctly

-------------WW------| | SS | | |-------------- | | | |R | \_/ |__| D D

Reply to
Brikp

proportional

I recently moved into a home that has a sink in the island and the refer is to the right of that with a door next to it. The since this is an island I opted for a Jen-Air counter depth. You loose a little in space inside but that is not a biggie for me. It lookes a lot better than a refer sticking into the passage way 3-4 more inches.

Reply to
SQLit

OK, we have nearly the same layout in our new home except the peninsula you have is a granite topped island in ours.

As far as the "Built In" depth fridge, we had a SubZero BI in the last home we built It was ~ 27" deep but 36" wide. I built it in using raised oak panels. It was a great fridge.

In this one, we didnt want to spend the ~7000 for a new SubZ so we went with the Kitchenaid 22CF with the bottom mount roll out freezer. BTW, the KA, Maytag and Sears Kenmore with the rollout are all made by Amana. The choice was still there.. Built in depth or standard. Once again, both were available. The standard is narrower but deeper, BI depth is wider but the freezer rollout is of course shallower too- I noted that the freezer rolled out only enough for me to get my outstretched fingers in the space: slightly over 8" Not enough IMO-no big turkeys in there. Thats why we went with the standard depth, the opening depth is more like 12-14"

Anyway.."space". I laid out our kitchen and the end of the island is 42" from the fridge door. Kitchen books suggest that you have min 36" aisles ,

48" if possible. I could have made the island smaller but decided to go with the 42" space. Its comfortable to walk thru and when the fridge (single 33") door is open, there is 9" clearance to the island. Works well for us. Yes, paying for the BI look does cost..Whats it worth TO YOU is what counts

Since I was doing all the interior cabinet hanging and finishing work, I had a fridge panel (gable) in matching cabinetry made for the left side where it joined the existing cabinets. On the right, I put in a 2X6" wall the same depth as the fridge which finishes off the look nicely

Rudy

OK - So I decided NOT to do the cabinet depth fridge and I am sorry I made that choice. The Whirlpool Conquest mentioned in my original post is very massive. We have enough space to maneuver just fine, clearances are fine. The problem is just that it looks out of place. Consider the angle it will me seen from the most (The side for us) It just looks out of place IMO. I'm sure I will get used to it, it is a nice fridge.

Thanks for the original replies.

proportional

Reply to
Brikp