buzzing breaker????

I was recently putting a new circuit into my breaker box when I noticed one of the breakers was buzzing. I flicked it off and back on and it stopped. It then started buzzing again. I thought bad breaker so I replaced it. Same problem. I then went around the house to trace what was on that breaker and found that a motion sensor switch in our pantry caused the problem. When the light came on the buzzing would start. That is why when I flipped the breaker it turned off the motion switch and didn't buzz again until someone used the pantry.

What would be causing this?

Thanks Gary

Reply to
Gary

My guess would be the circuit that turns on the light is not a zero crossing type. If you put your ear near the light can you hear it buzz?

What would be causing this?

Thanks Gary

Reply to
Big Al

type. If you put your ear near the light can you hear it buzz?

"Zero Crossing" ? ? ? HUH ???????

Reply to
uuuuu

the breakers was buzzing. I flicked it off and back on and it stopped. It then started buzzing again. I thought bad breaker so I replaced it. Same problem. I then went around the house to trace what was on that breaker and found that a motion sensor switch in our pantry caused the problem. When the light came on the buzzing would start. That is why when I flipped the breaker it turned off the motion switch and didn't buzz again until someone used the pantry.

Are you sure its the breaker? A breaker should have nothing in it capable of buzzing. Perhaps there is a transformer close by. When dust gets into transformers they can buzz. Try vacuuming out your breaker panel if its dusty or cobwebby.

Reply to
dnoyeB

the breakers was buzzing. I flicked it off and back on and it stopped. It then started buzzing again. I thought bad breaker so I replaced it. Same problem. I then went around the house to trace what was on that breaker and found that a motion sensor switch in our pantry caused the problem. When the light came on the buzzing would start. That is why when I flipped the breaker it turned off the motion switch and didn't buzz again until someone used the pantry.

And the motion detector is affecting the transformer just how?

And if it WAS a transformer buzzing, just how does dust make it buzz? Loose windings or laminations maybe, but certainly not non-metalic dust.

Conventional breakers have an electromagnet in them which is quite capable of trying to act like a crummy loudspeaker if things get a little loose inside it. Here's an animation of a breraker, albeit an ad for someone's hot-shot improved breaker.

Sheesh....Learn a little about how things work before trying to teach others, guy.

Jeff

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

In reading up somewhat on motion detectors. There are alot of different kinds of motion detecters in " how they would detect" motion, but I believe that most, at least the older models, would have a relay in it, which switches on/off with motion. The contacts of this relay could be dirty. One possibility.....or similiar such as a defective lamp socket, etc. Try hooking up a regular 120vac lamp, like a worklight somewhere before the detector.......could probably do that in the breaker panel..............if it buzzes then, then its not the detector.

Note-try this only if you are experienced enough with electricity.....dont want anyone to get hurt :-)

Reply to
avid_hiker

Obviously by placing a load on it.

Transformers buzz all the time. It does not take much to cause it. A dirty core can do this. Certainly if it causes the transformer to overheat.

I know a littlebit. Should have been obvious.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Most do not have a relay. They have a triac. The circuit that turns on the triac, if it's that type of detector, can generate lots of noise. The breaker has an electromagnet that, when enough current passes, trips the switch. It's the electromagnet vibrating that he hears. Since the triac shuts off every time the line goes to zero (120 times a second) it has to be turned back on repeatably to keep the light on. If the lamp is energized when the line is very close to zero volts - zero crossing - no noise. If it's randomly turned on, it may go on anywhere in the sine wave. The inrush current when it turns on at higher voltage causes a noise in the supply line.You can usually hear this in the bulb, sounds a little like a rattle.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I don't think you will get too much useable Info in here. Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

MLR

Reply to
MLR