Buying Garbage Disposal

Thinking of getting Insinkerator Evolution Essential or if we should get their Premier model with the Auto reverse grind system sold only at Lowe's. Both are the same price, Essential has 6yr Premier has 5yr warranty. I'm thinking auto reverse may be more complicated and susceptible to failure. Any input would be appreciated.

Reply to
Patrick C

Who knows?

If you're the type that often experiences jams, then the auto-reverse model may well be worth the extra money. But I can almost guarantee the auto-reversing model will jam more often!

You'll be conditioned into dumping even more problematic items down the thing, secure in the knowledge that the disposal will heal itself should something amiss take place. Of course it can't recover from a spoon or small pistol, so you'll have to manually intervene as you increasingly treat the disposal with disdain.

Disposals are almost commodity items, all about the same price, durability, and functionality - one is as good as another. Insinkerator is trying to differentiate its brand.

Have fun.

Reply to
HeyBub

Don't over-think it. Buy whichever has the same dimensions as the old one (if possible) and uses the same style of ring on the top end, to make the changeout easier. Quality of metal used and quality of assembly, is more important than bells and whistles or warranty. A mid-range model with the thicker and better shell, grinder, and gaskets, should last many years if you don't abuse it. (IOW, actual food and bone scraps belong in the trash, not down the drain. The disposal is only for stuff that sticks to the plates and pots.)

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

I can't answer your specific question. However, I can tell you that I have had an Insinkerator Model #PRO 77 for more than six years. It does *not* have auto reverse, but I have never needed it (never needed to reset it). It gets regular use every day, and it gets heavier use than one of the others wrote about. I do far more than just dump stuff that sticks to the plates. I scrape plates, empty leftover food, get rid of food that has been in the refrigerator too long (sometimes requiring pushing some down, start the garbage disposal, then do the whole thing two or three more times -- simply because I have accumulated to much "stuff"). I am selective in that I do not put anything fibrous (like banana peels) in the disposal, and certainly no bones. I always turn water on before running the disposal and let the water run for a short time after turning it off. A plumber told me some years ago to do that.

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

This is our first. We're hooking up to sewer & water and the wife would really appreciate it. I agree about abuse.

Reply to
Patrick C

Buy a small garbage can and line it with grocery store plastic bags. I use 2. When a little swill accumulates I tie off the first bag and put it into the regular trash. Putting undigested food down the sewer just attracts rats.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

I agree that getting one that will just "clip in" the existing hardware is a plus. As to "stuff that sticks to the plates and pots," that stuff will usually just go down the drain. As we have eliminated our compost pile due to selling the house, we use our disposer for everything, fruit and veggie peals and just plain bad food that needs to go. You have to be careful about fibrous and mushy stuff as it can plug up the disposer/drain. We have city sewers here. In the house we are now building, there is a septic system, so the disposer will only be used for smaller stuff and we will go back to composting the bulk of the waste.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Hi, Nothing will withstand abuse. My house always had Insinkerator. None of them gave us trouble.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Patrick C" wrote

Personally I wish I didnt have one. What I would prefer is the Japan style 'trap' which is shaped a bit like an electric disposal but is just a small hole metal basket that drops into a bigger tube (with drain below) and you lift it out to empty it in the trash.

There is nothing mechanical to mess up. There is no electric bill generated (or price to run electric line as you will have being a first one installed). The basket can be run through the dishwasher (stainless steel metal). No smells from rotting garbage trapped in there.

Unfortunately my FIL (lord rest his soul) 'gifted' us with a disposal install years ago and we are stuck with it. It is the incinerator model and it's been working fine for 12 years now. Though we almost never use it, the renters for 7 years did. For me, it almost destroys the use of that side of the sink but we found some wire mesh mini-baskets to fit over it and keep stuff out. We just use those now and toss the leavings in the trash then put them in the dishwasher.

{4E19ED5A-464E-4175-9AF2-3B08CE6C9CE1}&Product=20495&productlist=true&CategoryName=Kitchen&CategoryId=1&SubCategoryId=9&SubCategoryName=Accessories&ProductCategoryName=Basket%20Strainers&ProductCategoryId=187 Look for Basket Strainers to see what I find more useful.

Reply to
cshenk