Bulb hard to remove-How to remove light bulb?

I need to replace a bulb in an outdoor light socket.

Can someone tell me how to remove this broken bulb?

Is this a "screw-in"type? It's not coming out with normal pressure, I could put a tool on it and unscrew harder if it's just a normal screw-in bulb.

thank you,

Bill

Reply to
bill_activist

Bill:

No, that's called a "single twin tube" bulb.

It's an early style compact fluorescent bulb that was used in the

1990's.

Before compact fluorescent bulbs came with screw type Edison bases, they had a different base which you can see in these pictures:

$splssku$

So far as I know, you simply pull the old bulb straight out and push the new one straight in.

I've seen these kinds of bulbs for sale at Home Depot, but you should be able to buy them at any lighting store.

Reply to
nestork

It's not a screw-in bulb. The base has straight contact pins so that the bulb is simply pushed into place and then pulled stright out for replacement. Since the bulb is broken, take a pair of pliers and grasp the metal part of the base levering it gently straight out.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Try some rolled up cardboard. Shove it into the broken bulb base and try to twist it out. If that doesn't work, with the power off, use some long needle nosed pliers like a pitchfork, shove it up into the broken mess and twist. Oops, I just looked at the picture and the rolled up cardboard works for bulbs broken off with the base stuck in the socket but you can wrap some around the rectangular base of the compact florescent lamp and twist it out with the cardboard protecting your hand. Water pump pliers(called Chanelocks by many folks) is what I'd use to remove the base/ballast from the socket since it can be grabbed with the adjustable pliers and twisted out. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

how to remove this broken bulb?

Is this a "screw-in"type? It's not coming out wit h normal pressure, I could put a tool on it and unscrew harder if it's just a normal screw-in bulb. thank you, Bill

DO NOT TWIST - PULL IT STRAIGHT OUT!!!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

I just looked at your picture again. Are you planning to replace just the tube or remove the screw in ballast too? The tube pulls straight out but the ballast does unscrew. You may have to remove the ballast in order to work/pull/pry the lamp out of it. It looks as though it may be corroded and possibly stuck. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas