Ceiling Fan installation [no ceiling box or elec]

I would sure like to have a ceiling fan in the master bedroom, but there's nothing on the ceiling.

so, I guess my options are: hire an electrician to install a box, or try to put a box in myself [doesn't look that easy]

I thought I saw some pictures once of a ceiling fan with wiring running up the wall and over to the fan, across the ceiling. I this a poor way to go? [I'm thinking, if you have to put the box in, to hold the fan up there anyway, you should put the electricity in, from above]

thanks marc

Reply to
21blackswan

Surprised no one has responded, yet.

It all depends on if you have access to the ceiling of the room. If you have an unfinished attic giving access to the room ceiling, then the electrical box and fan are an easy addition.

If no access is possible, then the on-the-wall type wiring from an existing wall outlet to where you want the ceiling fan is also rather simple. You may think the addition of the on-wall conduit is unsightly, but it can be painted to match the room, after all is installed.

Go to your local Borg (Lowes/Home Depot) and visit the electrical department. They have all the stuff you will need.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn