Built to Rent

Perhaps. I've never had my downspouts freeze. Perhaps it's just enough milder here than where Clare lives.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Up here in the "interlaken" area of ontario where John and I live you can have wild temperature swings - moderate weather, a quick short thaw, and then drop to the cellar -as cold as -4F and lower for a few days - with intense sun that melts snow on dark roofs while the air temp stays sub-zeroF. That splits downspouts, particularly if the exit is covered in ice. Sub zero F is not common - but happens - and it doesn't need to be that cold to cause problems. You can split a downspout with weather in the teens or twenties F - the colder the faster the downspouts freeze and when you have clear skies it can be REALLY COLD yet have very strong sun causing thawing and freezing at the same time

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Not too different from Michigan, although we don't get as much really cold weather. Just enough different, it would seem. Once we get a good layer of snow on the roof, it takes a lot of warm weather to melt it.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 02:13:27 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted for all of us to digest...