Broken glass

My 4 year old threw a baseball and broke the glass in my bay window. It is a double pane and only the inside glass broke. Is this something that is fixable or will the window need to be replaced?

Reply to
Scout Lady

Replacing the glass, not the window, right? Then, yes, replacement is the best way. I've seen frequent failures in attempted repairs - the seal never holds and the glass gets foggy on the inside. See if you can find some markings on the glass. They'll tell you the manufacturer and you can contact them to find out about replacement lights. Sometimes they'll sell the whole sash - which to use depends on price, who''ll be doing the work and the individual window.

You can also, and should, call up local glass guys and get a price or three.

RicodJour

Thanks, I wound up calling the local hardware store and they gave me the name of a local guy. I had the papers from the window so he said he will pick up a unit and just switch out the sashes, $175 completely installed and he can do it on Friday.

Reply to
Scout Lady

A local reputable glass shop can replace what you have. They can measure the glass, it's thickness and air space between the panes. I can't see the cost of one Bay window glass/pane costing a arm or leg to match - closely to what you have.

Oren

Reply to
Oren

Small pane, probably not - big pane, big pain!

7 or 8 years ago, mower kicked up a stone, broke an 8ft x 4ft tinted gas-filled patio slider, cost me just a few dollars short of my $500 homeowners policy deductible to replace it.

Ouch!

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

I have to grin an say you won't do that again.......

Oren

Reply to
Oren

Double panes will have to be replaced because they are sealed. That is replacing just the inside pane won't work because moist air will get in between, condense, and fog up the pane. And yes, they can be expensive.

Reply to
Phisherman