brighthouse cable FL

on the new house i just had built, the tv cables all junction to a box on the outside wall of the house.

I was told by brighthouse that I am not allowed to put the cable ends and splitter inside that box. I need to pay them $10 per connection (8 total connections).

I just had them connect one and the rest I will do myself.

On my previous house in Ohio, I was allowed to connect as many splitters i want and there was no junction box on the side of the house.

if it all comes down to technicalities, would it be acceptable to add another private junction box ontop of the builders cable box? reroute all the cables to that and just use the one authorized cable connection to the splitter.

the cable installer said that any unauthorized splitters within the existing cablebox will be removed and the cable ends cut off. i still have all the cable connectors and splitters from when i used to install it for commercial businesses, but it doesn't match brighthouse's equipment.

i'm not sure who owns that junction box as i live in a gated community.

-a|ex

Reply to
127.0.0.1

You might check local regulations, but that sounds like Florida. They can test to see if you add splitters, but they likely will not. I suggest you do it outside their box and located where they will not normally see it. Best bet is to have it arranged so you can easily detach the splitters you add so if there is a problem, they will not be noticed.

I might suggest that you let them put two lines in. Not all that expensive, it will sound like you are not going to add more and if they check, they are less likely to notice.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Around here the demark box is the property of the cable company and consumers are not allowed entry.

Also here you may have up to four lines connected for the same price at install and per month. You can have more than four but you either have to buy or rent a booster.

That leads me to infer that here the company is providing a signal strong enough to be split 4 ways per house and still provide the quality you pay for.

builders cable box?

Frankly for an $80 one time charge I would just pay it and forget it. Why run the risk of being not -legal for such a small amount of money!

As Joseph pointed out, if I were going to do something like this I would do it on the inside of the house and I would add a booster.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I'm in Florida using brite house , had cable tv here forever,,, same cable changes names every so often .. forget all the names,, was parragon, time warner, brite house. there's no junction box here - just the cable drop tied off on the power riser for strain relief and the cable loops over , actually lays on the roof/eve to splitter screwed on the soffit for the squirrels to hang from.

Neighbor changes cable companys back and forth,,, has at least two cable boxes there. Last change the installer cut loose her existing house tv cable drop and curled it back to the pole and made a new drop to the Brite House box, (same main fiber & box) came out up to an existing splitter that feeds her house every which a way. Unscrewed the cables going every which a way except the one to her Living Room. Her son then reconnected the rest of the house at that splitter.

Reply to
bumtracks