Boards for an Ice Rink

Hey All, I'm building a backyard rink this weekend and I want a full setof boards. Any suggestions for plans? Thanks, dave

Reply to
David Worthen

Might be too late- but. . . .

Are you sure you want a "full set of boards"? The biggest drawback to this is what you have to do with the snow that you'll be clearing.

Also, if you go to the standard height without the glass it seems like you're introducing a real safety hazard for anyone over about 5 feet tall.

I had a rink for years for my son, but we never used more than about a

6" 'board'. Behind the net I had a couple 4x8 sheets of plywood that were propped in the snow. [I had some 1/2" that I used, but if I was buying it, I'd use 1/4" luan] If someone crashed into them they were designed to collapse.

I bought 50 pucks & cleared the lawn in the spring as the snow melted. I considered netting off the rink to keep the pucks closer to it, but never got around to it. I just saw some bird netting at Lowes in the garden center that I think would work--- but my rink building days is over.

I think that no matter what you do it will never match an indoor rink. But what it lacks in utility it makes up for in location.

How big are you going? [or did you go?]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht