Blown in cellulose in new construction

When I was running the numbers a few years ago, dense pack cellulose in the walls and pro pink blown loose fiberglass in the ceiling ran about 25% more than what batts would have cost. The cellulose has superior insulation, air infiltration and noise reduction properties, so that was worth it to me.

Sprayed open cell foam was about 3x the cost of batts. Would have loved to get it, but couldn't make the numbers work. I did buy Tigerfoam and did the underfloor in one corner of the house later. The guys who do this for a living earn their money, believe me. Working with that stuff in a crawl space is not fun.

There is a newer hybrid approach where you foam the wall cavity first with a very thin coat, then fill the rest of the space with fiberglass batts. Gives you the airseal of foam and some R value but reduces the material cost at the tradeoff of the extra labor to install.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Two tricks for working in a hot attic:

  1. Put a lawn sprinkler or two on the roof.
  2. Disconnect one of the A/C ducts and let it cool the attic.
Reply to
HeyBub