Bloom Energy on 60 Minutes

Hardly, if they actually had practical systems that could be purchased turnkey for $3,000 what difference would skeptics make? Everything I read about this so far is nothing but marketing speak.

Reply to
George

I'm not Joe or Josephine homeowner, but I do pay taxes that go for things that do not benefit me.. I pay school taxes and do not have any kids in school. I pay a surcharge on my auto registration for the MTA (NY Metropolitan Transit Authority), although I do not use the MTA. Part of my taxes go for welfare, although I have never been on welfare. There are many other things that I pay taxes for that do not benefit me.

Do not underestimate US technology and manufacturing.

Reply to
willshak

Maybe, but I've heard the only reliable fuel cells run on hydrogen and major company working on figured at least 10 years before they had a commercial product that was cheap and reliable. The cells would be small and portable and could power your house or car. There has been considerable R&D on these and I'd have a wait and see on these guys.

Reply to
Frank

They are a DIFFERENT kind of fuel cell, not the kind you know. I guess everybody missed that.

Reply to
LSMFT

They either work for the oil companies or are damn stupid.

Reply to
LSMFT

Several public schools in my state CURRENTLY have operating hydrogen fuel cells making a large portion of their power.

Reply to
salty

LSMFT wrote: ...

Which, of course, is part of the problem -- they've let precious little actual information other than hype and generalities out.

Here's the most detail I've ever seen and it's of very little actual use in understanding what's going on for either a material or energy balance.

One thing I've found most interesting is that having spent a considerable fraction of career in R&D targetted to the generation utilities via EPRI this outfit while based quite close to EPRI headquarters has been resolutely adamant about approaching them for either funding or for demonstration/pilot studies. Perhaps w/ the principal's primary previous sugar daddy having been NASA he's simply unfamiliar w/ the commercial power folks but that would seem hard to do in Sunnyvale while EPRI's in Palo Alto unless is purposeful...

--

Reply to
dpb

... Sorry, forgot the link...this predates the 60 Minutes piece; may be from whence they got the idea for the segment, who knows...

--

Reply to
dpb

Ebays Ceo said they have saved 100,000 in 9 months with 5 units, not suprising considering on NGs lower cost

Reply to
ransley

ransley wrote: ...

Again I'd ask -- does that cover cost of the units or simply the differential fuel cost? I gather the units were supplied by Bloom, not purchased but don't think it was said specifically.

It's only what an actual commercial unit's amortized cost would be that would be significant in the long run; very few development demo projects are cost-effective overall because so much is written off as R&D expense by the developer of the technology. Is there any information that isn't so here, too????

--

Reply to
dpb

Here's a link to some folks who have been working on fuel cells for some time. The second link is to the folks who supplied fuel cells to NASA for spacecraft.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Looking at what I saw its made of isnt expensive, how long the unit lasts is unknown. I will be sold for more than its worth im sure

Reply to
ransley

Where do they get the hydrogen?

Reply to
bud--

GM may have spent 1 million dollars on development, and prototypes of the Chevette, which when mass produced, sold for $2500 a copy. That $2000 even included a share of the massive advertising campaign that was used to promote them.

The present Bloom units are handbuilt prototypes.

Reply to
salty

LSMFT wrote in news:UkEgn.55287$G snipped-for-privacy@newsfe15.iad:

Oh,if a fuel cell uses hydrocarbon fuels(like propane or CNG),it's going to emit carbon,probably in the form of CO2 or CO.

the stupid ones are those who blindly believe in anything that's on TV. (especially the deceptive 60 Minutes)

Those who refuse to consider the FULL situation.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

LSMFT wrote in news:tcEgn.5875$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe13.iad:

what happens to the CARBON in the hydrocarbon fuels? where does it end up?

do you even know?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The previously quoted $750K isn't what I'd call "inexpensive"...

--

Reply to
dpb

So, when they get production units, _THEN_ will be the time to tell what actual operating costs are. Precisely my point that there's no useful data in what has been given to date.

Reply to
dpb

-snip-

If I remember all these numbers more or less correctly, and have done my math right- ebay?

5 units at $750K = $3750K Saved $100K /month. Payback 3 years.

Might have been 'saved $100K in 3 months' - even at that a 9 year payback is pretty good. [better than what I've seen for wind & solar]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

i think it was 100k in 9 months